Chapter 6

Needing some fresh air, Poppy grabbed her purse and timidly approached Luca who had moved into the second bedroom that he used as an office.

"Hey," she poked her head in. "Is it okay if I run to the store?"

"Huh?" He looked up from his phone and nodded dismissively. "Yeah, yeah, sure. Don't be long and don't make any extra stops."

Poppy nodded, "Okay. I can take the rental, right?"

"Yeah," he tossed her the keys. "Fill it up while you're out." Luca got up from his desk, acting as if he wanted to say goodbye, and hugged her. Gripping her head to keep her from pulling away, Luca gave her one last warning. "Don't make me have to do things I'll regret. I want to trust you, I'm trying, please don't ruin it."

"I won't," she whispered. "I promise."

"Good girl," he said, kissing her cheek. He pulled his wallet from his back pocket and handed her cash, not thinking a credit card would be the safer and smarter option.

"Bye," she said, scurrying away before he could change his mind.

It wasn't a total lie. Poppy did go to the store but she went to the one Luca would disapprove of. The bells jingled above her head as she stepped into Carniceria Reyes.

"Poppy," Felipe said, slightly unsure it was her. "Is that you?"

"It is," she replied sheepishly. "This is slightly embarrassing but I was hoping you could do me a non-meat related favor."

His face turned down as he looked over the counter at her. "What do you need?"

"Just a way to contact Angel," she shrugged.

"Here," he said, turning to grab a piece of paper. "This is his cell phone number."

"Thank you," she smiled sweetly. "May I?" Poppy asked, pointing to the phone on the wall not far from the register.

"Is everything okay?" He asked her with obvious suspicion.

Poppy nodded. "I can use the payphone."

"No, no," he lifted the wooden board and gestured for her to join him behind the counter. "Please, go ahead."

She smiled and dialed the number quickly, pressing the phone to her ear as her stomach began to churn. Why was she so nervous to talk to Angel?

"Hey Pop, what's up?"

"It's actually me, uhh, Poppy," she said with embarrassment. "I wasn't trying to trick you or anything, I swear."

"Luca?" Angel asked angrily.

"Yeah," she hung her head. "I uh, lost your number so I wanted to let you know if I don't respond or anything it's not my choice."

"Stay right there," Angel was already getting back into his car. "I'll be there as soon as I can."

"I can't stay, he's waiting for me," she stammered.

"He's distracted. Wait there, Alice. I'll be quick, I promise."

"Ang-" she couldn't even get his name out before the line went dead. "Okay," Poppy sighed. "He's uh, on his way over."

"Next time I need his help I'll have you call," Felipe told her with a smile. "I don't think Angel moves that quickly for anyone."

"I tried to tell him it wasn't necessary," she said nervously.

Felipe shook his head, seeing how uneasy she was, and put some space between them. "He never listens."

"Yes, he is pretty stubborn," she smiled to herself.