Chapter 13

The next morning, not long after he'd woken up, Angel was heading out to what he considered work. Not many knew where his garage was and even fewer knew what he actually did there with Creeper but, it was still work, no matter how illegal and illegitimate.

"They're here," he said to Creep once Bishop pulled up.

"Is your boy comin'?"

Angel checked his phone, "Dunno yet."

"Good morning," Poppy approached Angel with a subdued smile and coffees in her hand.

He kissed her cheek, trying to remain cool, but his cheesy smile gave it all away. "Morning. This for me?"

"One of them, yes," she laughed. "Can we talk?"

Angel could see Bishop was still on the phone, looking highly upset, and nodded. "You okay?"

Reaching down, she intertwined her fingers with his and nodded. "I am now."

"Come on," he said, pulling her toward the large shed. "What's up?"

"I was talking to Bishop last night," she started reluctantly. "We were discussing my brother and Luca and what's going to happen going forward."

Angel listened, sipping the coffee she'd given him, and nodded along. "Yeah?"

"It's never going to end unless he's dead," she whispered. "You know that, right?"

"It's not gonna go that far," Angel said confidently. "We can handle it, it ain't your worry anymore."

"It's my worry because it's my life," she said adamantly.

"I'm not gonna let anything else happen to you," Angel said softly, allowing his feelings for her to peek through.

"Then you have to do it," she whimpered. "He got my phone number, not that it's hard for him, he called me last night."

"He called you?" Angel asked, his eyebrows raised high with surprise as he looked at her.

"I didn't tell Bishop," she admitted. "I felt bad after what happened at the restaurant."

Angel nodded, hating that Luca had upset her again but happy she trusted him and not Bishop with the information.

"What did he say?" Ange asked her gently.

"First he was sweet," she almost smiled, "He knows how to talk to me but when I didn't promise to meet him the switch flipped," her chin quivered. "He said you don't really care about me, this is just because of your ex, you're jealous and as soon as he stops caring you'll drop me."

Angel scoffed, "Fuck him and fuck Ari. I didn't even," he stopped for a second, "I didn't have feelings for you when I started this shit."

"And now?"

"Maybe a little," he smirked. "You?"

Poppy bit her lower lip to keep her smile subdued. "Maybe a little," she shrugged.

"Listen," he turned a bit more serious, "We'll handle Luca but I'm not a killer, Alice, I can't just," he shook his head.

Disappointed but understanding, Poppy nodded. "I get it, I couldn't physically do it either. I just," she hesitated. How could she explain she felt she needed to be with someone capable of the things Luca was but without the psychotic side?

"Angel?" Creeper called from outside the door. "Nestor's here."

"Come on," he said, suddenly closed off again. "Nestor pulled some information on your brother."