Chapter 14

*The Night Before*

Poppy hopped down the steps, freshly showered and dolled up to spend the night with Angel alone.  They had the house to themselves since Bishop was spending the night with Natasha and both of them were eager to finally be alone. Veering off into the kitchen, Poppy found  Luca sitting at the table, a glass of whiskey in his hand. Her breath caught in her throat, Poppy was frozen in the doorway as Luca looked at her wearing a creepy smile.

"Evening," he said, raising his glass to her before taking another sip. "Shit whiskey," he remarked.

"What are you doing here?" She asked, her voice was timid and her eyes were focused on the floor.

"I miss my girl," he said calmly.

Poppy wanted to shout at him, tell him she wasn't his girl, but she stood quietly with her hands together at her waist.

"Where's that newfound confidence?" He teased, throwing the empty glass in the sink and laughing as it shattered. "You should probably clean that up."

When she moved toward the sink he grabbed her arm and pulled her against him. "Please," she whimpered.

"I just want to say goodbye," he told her. "Let me take you out, Pops. We can have a nice dinner, just me and you one last time. I'll leave you alone after this. I promise."

Why could she say? The few times she's ever said no to Luca ended terribly for her. Poppy slowly nodded, terror tightening her chest as he began to smile.

"Good girl," he crooned. "Don't worry, I made sure Angel was suitably distracted so he won't miss you too much."

Stepping away from him, her face twisted with horror. "What did you do?"

"Nothing," Luca laughed. "He's just catching up with an old friend."

Poppy didn't know exactly what he meant but she didn't like it, she didn't like anything about that moment.

Gripping her hand, he led her out of the house and right to his car. Although he opened and closed the door for her, his movements were all rigid and rough. As he walked around to the driver's side door, Poppy pulled her phone from her purse and held it in her hand, planning at the very least to try to text Angel if she could find a chance. When Luca settled in the driver's seat he snatched the phone from her and slid it in the side compartment of the driver side door. Dismayed, but not surprised, Poppy sank down in her seat and watched with longing as they pulled away from Bishop's.

--

Angel didn't even get out the door before noticing Arianna leaning on the front bumper of his truck. He groaned, sure this was some game, as he made his way over.

"Off the truck," he said, gesturing to the empty strip of pavement a few feet away.

"Where ya going?" She asked, swaying her hips as she stepped away from his truck.

Looking down his nose at her, Angel shook his head. "Don't play. What are you doing here?"

"I miss you," she sang playfully. "My angel," she added with a pout.

"Luca send you?"

"No," she batted her eyelashes at him.

"You're fucking lying," he growled. "That guy is a fucking psycho, Ari. He's gonna hurt you."

She smiled broadly. "You still care."

"I'd say it to anybody who was involved with him," Angel told her matter-of-factly.

Ari paced closer. "He doesn't hurt me," she told him. "I don't know what that girl told you but he's not like that."

"Okay," Angel huffed. "I gotta go, Ari. Get outta here, go home. I don't wanna see you hanging around here."

"Your brother still in town?" She asked, her smile turning devilish. 

"Don't," he warned her darkly. "Leave him alone."

She nodded, smiling smugly, and headed back to her car. She waited, as if to follow, but seeing Angel wasn't going to budge before her drove off and back to Luca's.

--

When Bishop's phone went off, twice in a row, he knew he had to answer. Excusing himself, he headed outside, answering the call while lighting a cigarette.

"What's up?"

"Poppy's gone," Angel said frantically.

Bishop's face scrunched up. "What do you mean she's gone?"

"She's just...she's gone," he repeated. "House is empty and dark, she's gone."

"Fuck," Bishop growled. "Luca?"

"Had to be," Angel felt bile creeping up in his throat. "This is on me, this is my fault." If only he'd listened, did as she had pleaded and handled Luca from the start she'd be safe.

"We'll get her back," Bishop assured him. "Call Nestor, see if he can help figure shit out. I'm on my way back."

Less than two hours after Poppy had been taken, Bishop, Angel, and Nestor we're sitting at Bishop's table waiting for intel to come in from the numerous calls they'd made.

"Nestor," Angel said ominously. "Luca has to fucking go."

"Ain't that easy," Nestor shook his head. "Cristobal is gonna wanna fill that void." Seeing Angel's hesitation, Nestor pushed harder. "You wanna steal cars for the rest of your life?"

"No, but I don't wanna owe a cartel," Angel snapped.

The sound of a car in the driveway disrupted the growing argument. Angel was the first one his feet, storming outside just as Luca sped off. Poppy was there, a few feet away, no worse than the last time he'd seen her. In fact, she looked incredible.

"Alice," he breathed a sigh of relief as he gathered her in his arms. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," she said, a big smile on her face. "I was so scared," she admitted. "He kept his promise though. Dinner and that was it," she shrugged.

"Dinner?" Angel drew his head back. "He took you to dinner?"

"Weird, I know," she shrugged. "I thought he was going to kill me but...he was polite, he was like a normal boyfriend."

Angel didn't like it. Taking her hand, he led her back into the house where Nestor and bishop had been watching.

"You okay?" Bishop asked, hugging her as soon as she stepped into the house.

"Yeah," she laughed. "I'm sorry," she looked at the three of them one by one. "I didn't mean to cause all this," she gestured to them.

Nestor simply shrugged, more concerned with their previous topic now but Bishop was quick to dismiss her apology.

"Don't," he shook his head. "At this point, you know we'd do anything for you."

"Alright," Angel whinnied. "Already had one guy all over her tonight, back off, man."

Bishop laughed. "I got my hands full."

"Yeah," Angel nodded enthusiastically. "She's all yours." Leaning in, Angel whispered to Poppy. "You wanna come to my place?"

Eagerly she nodded and headed up the stairs to pack a bag.

"You got a line around the block," Nestor complained. "You ever not have a girl?"

Angel grinned but tried to remain modest by simply shaking his head.

"We gonna continue this conversation later?"

Angel and Bishop nodded. "Just let us talk it over," the latter said.

Nestor nodded. "Let me know. Have a good night, Angel," he added with a wink.