Chapter 15

"Sir," the burly guard by the trauma bay entrance pressed his palm to Angel's chest. "They'll let you know when you can go back."

"I can't leave her alone," he snapped back.

"She's not alone," he assured Angel with compassion as well as the authoritative tone necessary to keep him under control. "Someone will be out to talk to you as soon as they can."

Angel sighed dramatically and nodded, pacing back toward the row of chairs not far from the trauma double doors. He replayed the night from the moment Poppy was dropped off till they fell asleep but there was nothing to explain what happened to her. She was relaxed, more so than usual, thinking Luca had truly given her up and they were happy in bed together.

"What the fuck happened?!" Angel asked himself in a harsh whisper.

EZ slid into the ER in a hurry, looking for his brother. He knew Poppy would be gone, whisked away immediately, but he didn't know where that would leave Angel. He was led away from the row of minor injuries and ailments toward the trauma area where his brother was now pacing up and down the row of chairs.

"Angel," EZ greeted him with a strong hug. "You okay?"

"No, I'm not," he sniffled. "Thank you, E," Angel shook his head. "If you weren't there I probably woulda just stared at her freaking the fuck out."

"No, you'd do what you have to," EZ assured him. "You would have gotten her here."

Angel wasn't so sure but he kept his doubts to himself and the brothers then sat in silence for almost an hour before anyone came through those double doors again.

"Mr. Reyes?"

Both Angel and EZ looked up but only Angel approached the woman. She had on blue scrubs and looked exhausted, which was not what Angel wanted to see.

"You're here with Miss Cahill?" He just nodded. "She's critical but stable, I'm running every test I can to figure out what happened. Right now we have nothing." The doctor had a small pad of paper and a pen in hand. "Did either of you inject any illegal drugs last night?"

Angel shook his head adamantly. "No. She didn't even finish her beer."

"At this point, I'm willing to keep anything you tell me between us."

"I'm serious, we didn't," he said, growing annoyed. "We don't do any of that shit."

The doctor pursed her lips but nodded. "I'll let you know when I know more."

"Wait," Angel followed after her. "Can I see her?"

"Not just yet, I'll let you know," she said before disappearing.

"Angel," EZ called out. "Someone's here for you."

Peter. Of course it was Peter standing there with some other guy Angel didn't know. Stomping toward them Angel rolled his jaw, staring at Poppy's brother expectantly.

"Is my sister okay?" He demanded.

"Stable," Angel said sadly. "They don't know anything yet though." Looking at the man to Peter's left, Angel clicked his tongue. "This your boyfriend?"

"Tommy," Peter started, "This is Angel, Angel this is my associate Tommy."

"Great, I'll let her know you were asking about her," Angel said with a cocky smile.

"I think I'll stay," Peter told Angel, taking the seat directly opposite the Reyes brothers. "I kind of like it here, Santo Padre," he said with a mocking accent. "Maybe I'll stick around."