66. Interlude

Summer, Sarai, Arnica and June were trying to calm the group of Fena elders, but they were finding it difficult. Elders was clustered around them in the old orchard, arguing in loud whispers and sounding quite upset.

"How could we have permitted this!" Maya demanded. "Poisoned and stuck here without any magic to defend us while the sorcerers attack!"

"They're going find us any moment!" Coreopsis, another elder, hissed. "We have to hide in the forest!"

"Nonsense," Onuma replied, striding decisively into the center of the group. "We are pledged to defend the Palace, and that's exactly what we're going to do, whether we get our magic back in time, or not."

"But—" someone started to object.

"No buts!" Onuma snapped in a rare display of temper. "And stop grumbling or you'll give our location away!"

The arguing subsided to nervous whispers.

"The sounds of fighting spooked them," Summer said. "They aren't used to it."

Onuma nodded. "I know and I'll do my best to keep them in line, but I hope Drift knows what she's doing."

"Of course she does," Summer reassured her, but then she exchanged nervous glances with Sarai and June.

"Where is Drift?" June asked.

"No idea," Sarai said.

*

Drift was in the topmost room of the tower that housed the looms. It had tall, narrow windows that could be used in an emergency by archers. However, there were not nearly enough Artulans at the Palace to post archers in every tower. Right now, Drift and the Queen were standing in one of the windows, looking down at the gate. Through the wind and the rain they could make out, faintly, the dark shapes of the attackers. "They're falling back," Drift said. "That's my cue. I need to prepare for the next attack. It will be much bigger."

The Queen frowned. "I ought to be down there with Thistle."

"No. That's what they want."

"She can't hold the gate all by herself!"

"She won't be by herself."

"Then I could patrol the back. They haven't attacked there yet, but they might come at us from both sides next time. Have you thought about that?"

Drift nodded. "I'm going to prepare for that right now. Promise me you'll stay here."

"I really ought to—"

"Finish your tapestry," Drift interrupted. "It's almost done. If you keep at it you can finish it by dawn. Promise?"

The Queen scowled. "You're obsessed with this weaving, Drift. I'm not sure how it's going to help. Not when there's a fight going on down below."

Drift glared at the Queen. "Your Majesty. Mother. Listen to me. The mage does not want to interfere in this fight because when he meddles in our time, it has unintended consequences. He stripped Magus of his power, and now I have the feeling Magus is not only back but even stronger. It is our time, and we have to solve our own problems."

"What does that have to do with my weaving?" the Queen demanded. "I think he's saying we should both go out there and fight."

"Actually, what he said is that it is my time and I should deal with the threat," Drift added. "He can't do it for me. But he can give me good advice. That's his role: To be an advisor and teacher. That's why the Spirits kept him alive all these centuries."