63. The Triad

Vultan, Magus and Nautilus stood in the wide courtyard where the old Black Oak grew. The drumming coming from Vultan's staff (taken from Durus) rose in volume until the entire Keep reverberated. Once the courtyard was full, Vultan muttered and the drumming stopped, leaving them standing in the silent darkness. "Light would be helpful, Magus," he hissed.

Magus pointed at each of the lanterns around the courtyard, and they sprang into bright flame, casting strong shadows across the cobblestones. Sorcerers and apprentices blinked and stared in surprise, and then began to whisper amongst themselves.

"What's going on?" Atratus demanded as he strode into the courtyard. "Guards! What is the meaning of... Oh." He stopped dead when he caught sight of the three figures standing beneath the ceremonial oak. "Spirits save us!" he breathed.

Vultan beckoned to him.

Atratus walked slowly forward while the others hung back, waiting to see what would happen.

"Bow," Vultan said.

Atratus went into a deep bow in front of Vultan.

"Not to me," Vultan spat. "You were always loyal to me. We have no quarrel. To Magus!"

Atratus stood up and looked at Vultan in surprise. "Bow to Magus? I'm sorry I locked him up, but he was without power, and someone had to—"

"Now!" Vultan roared.

Atratus bowed deeply to Magus. "My apologies," he said.

Magus eyed him for a long moment, his eyes pulsing oddly with red light. "I accept your apology," he finally said, "but only because we need you to continue your work. I will not forget your transgressions."

"I am in your debt, Master." Atratus bowed again, this time even more deeply, then backed hurriedly away.

Someone in the throng of sorcerers, apprentices and witches raised a hand.

"What is it?" Nautilus asked.

"Excuse me, but may I inquire as to how we are so very fortunate as to have Masters Vultan and Magus back?" It was Crag.

"It's no thanks to you," Nautilus replied. "You were the one who nominated Atratus to take over, is that not correct?"

"I was only doing what I thought best to insure proper succession in the, um, absence of our rightful leaders," Crag said.

"There is no need for you to know how or why they are here. They just are. Is that clear?" Nautilus's tone suggested she did not want to hear the wrong answer.

There was a murmured chorus of yeses from the gathering.

"From now on," Vultan hissed, "the Keep will be commanded by us. We work together. Any order from one of them is the same as an order from me. You witches! You will obey Magus or myself without question. And sorcerers, you will obey Nautilus's orders. Is that clear?"

There was surprised discussion at this announcement. One of the senior apprentices raised a tentative hand.

"What?" Magus demanded.

"Sorry, Master, we are not accustomed to taking orders from that witch. Why do we need to bother about her, now that we have both of you back?"

Magus studied him. "Do you question your instructions?"

"Oh no sir, of course not! I just wondered why—"

"DO YOU QUESTION YOUR INSTRUCTIONS?" Magus thundered, his voice so much louder than before that everyone took an involuntary step back.