70. Grave-digging

"Are we really going to have to dig the hole?" Drift asked.

Jasper nodded.

"But there's so many bodies! It'll take all day."

"Magus was an idiot," Jasper said. "He couldn't hold himself back. There was no need for so many of them to die. You gave them a way out."

Drift nodded. "I know, but I'm not sorry. It's better that they had heavy losses. It will take them that much longer to regroup and attack again."

"Do you think they'll return?" Jasper asked.

"They'll never give up. But I think it will be peaceful for a while. We'll be able to concentrate on doing something about the harvest. Maybe we can use Summer's gardening magic to grow one last late crop before the frost sets in."

"Maybe," Jasper said. "If the weather stays warm."

"So, about this hole," Drift said. "Should we start digging here? This is an out of the way place."

"We aren't going to dig," Jasper said. "It's no fun. Gives you calluses. Besides, we don't have any shovels."

"But you said—"

"I'm a sorcerer, remember? Earth spells are a cinch. Here, allow me." He picked up a broken branch and muttered a spell over it, then stuck it into the ground. "We should back up before it starts working," he warned, taking Drift by the hand and pulling her way.

As they watched, the ground started to spin in a slow circle around the stick. With each turning, more of the dirt seemed to end up on the outer edge, so that a circular mound rose gradually on the outside while the center began to drop into a hollow.

"Nice," Drift said. "All we have to do is watch."

"The spell works even if you don't watch," Jasper said softly, placing a hand on Drift's cheek and turning her head toward him.

They locked eyes for a moment, then Drift let her eyes slowly close as she leaned into his kiss.