PROLOGUE

PROLOGUE

BASKING IN THE AFTERGLOW OF THEIR LOVE, RANSOM LOOKED OVER AT HIS FIANCÉE WITH A FOND SMILE

BASKING IN THE AFTERGLOW OF THEIR LOVE, RANSOM LOOKED OVER AT HIS FIANCÉE WITH A FOND SMILE. The moonlight that came through the windows made her look like an angel on earth. The soft glow around her head made her hair look like a halo. She was everything to him. She was his sun, his moon, and his stars. She was the fire in his soul and the air in his lungs.

Ransom Drysdale was not the type of man to be tied down. Anyone who's ever been within a five foot radius of him would conclude so. He was arrogant, and entitled, and did whatever he wanted without thinking about anyone but himself. But then he laid eyes on Juliette Reyes.

They met at one of Harlan Thrombey's parties. Neither of them wanted to be there. Ransom was only there because his parents bribed him and Juliette was only there because Harlan asked her to be and she was too nice to say no to her late grandfather's best friend.

Juliette was having a conversation with Harlan's caretaker when Ransom approached her. He had been watching her all night, wondering how hard it would be to get her into his bed. He hated to admit it, but in the beginning, he had only viewed her how he viewed every other woman he came in contant with. Something to throw money at just because he could. Someone to play and drop when he got bored. Someone to satisfy his sexual needs.

But Juliette could see right through him. None of his attempts worked. His shitty pick up lines were laughed at, his silver tongue ignored, and every attempt to flaunt his money failed. He was shocked and intrigued, and it only made him want her more.

It was a game at first, and he loved games.  But what Ransom quickly discovered was that Juliette was no pawn on a game board. She was smarter than that. She was the undefeated champion. He had met his match and he needed her in any way possible.

After multiple attempts at asking her out on a date and endless hours convincing her that he was serious, she gave in. And now, years later, she laid next to him wearing nothing but a sparkling engagement on her left hand.

"I love you," Ransom said after a beat of silence. "You know that?"

Juliette turned her head to meet his eyes. There was a certain glint in her eyes that Ransom couldn't quite place. She gave him a lopsided grin and laid her head on his chest. "I don't know," she said jokingly. "Maybe you should tell me again."

He brushed her hair away from her shoulders with a chuckle. "I love you," he repeated, flipping her around so that he was hovering over her. He placed his lips on her neck, leaving a trail of kisses down her body.

He would do anything for her. But just how far he would go would remain unknown. Until the night of Harlan Thrombey's 85th birthday celebration, that is.

She was his everything, and there was nothing he wouldn't do for her.