05. THE ARREST OF HUGH DRYSDALE

CHAPTER FIVE:
THE ARREST OF HUGH DRYSDALE

"MARTA? WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE SO EARLY?"

Juliette gave the girl a confused look as she walked into the room. The young nurse was pacing back and forth beside the couch where Ransom sat. His hands held a letter to which he looked rather distressed over.

Upon seeing her husband's disheveled hair and creased eyebrows, she tilted her head. "What's going on?"

Juliette walked over to Ransom and stood beside him. She ran her hands over his shoulders in a comforting manner while watching Marta. Ransom handed her the piece of paper and rested his head gently against her swollen stomach.

Marta stopped pacing and watched as Juliette read the paper. "Harlan's toxicology report?" Juliette observed, her eyes widening a bit. She glanced over at Marta and then down at Ransom.

They nodded and motioned for her to continue. "'I know what you did'," Juliette read, "Who is this from?"

"I don't know." Marta's voice wavered. She was still shaken up over the confrontation with Walt she had earlier that day. "I got it in the mail. There was nothing written on the envelope."

Juliette handed the paper back to Ransom and he lifted his head off of her stomach. Marta continued, "I got an email with an address and a meeting time."

"Are you going?" Juliette asked.

Marta nodded and started to pace again. "I have to. I need to get that report."

"Are you going to the medical examiner's office too?"

"What?" The young nurse stopped in her tracks and turned to Juliette.

"The person who sent you that probably has a copy of the original," Juliette stated. "Considering they sent this note, they probably want something. My guess is money. If you meet them and the meeting goes bad, they still have leverage against you since original copy is still at the medical examiner's office."

Ransom's eyebrows raised and he looked up at his wife with a smirk. Juliette smiled at him and he turned his head in Marta's direction. "As you can see, she has the brains in the marriage." Ransom stood from the couch. "Let's go get that report. We'll stop by the medical examiner's and then you'll go to that meeting."

Marta nodded and the two started walking towards the front door. Juliette followed them, but when Ransom noticed, he stopped and turned around to face her. "You're staying here, Nancy Drew."

Juliette's forehead creased and she placed her hands on her hips. "What? No, I'm coming."

"No, you're not, baby." He leaned forward and gave her a peck on the lips.

"He's right," Marta said, "it could be dangerous and you're pregnant."

The words 'dangerous' and 'pregnant' are what stuck with her. She didn't want to do anything that would put her baby in harms way, so she nodded, agreeing to sit this one out. "Okay," Juliette said begrudgingly. "But call me so I know you guys are okay."