Chapter 2

Zoe's P.O.V

             Even if I tried to tell them that it wasn't me, I couldn't. I was being controlled by WICKED. The only thing I had control over was my thoughts and my eyes, barely my eyes. I now stood next to a man. He and I were wearing a white outfit. My head was forcefully turned to look at the gladers. I kept my eyes on Newt hoping he could see the plead in my eyes but by the looks of it he can't see it. The man passed me a file and I took it. I was screaming on the inside to be in control of my body again.

"Ms. Zoe. Why don't you do the honors and tell them." The man said in a nasally voice.

"Of course." I said. I tried to keep my mouth shut but it wasn't working.

"Let's just be simple. You guys are here because you survived the first trails. Good. Around sixty people were sent to a glade and another sent to a different glade. Only a fraction survived out of those people, of course you already knew that. You all are here so we can analyze your responses to situations. I wouldn't call it an experiment yet I would call it that." I smile. I hate this! I try with ever ounce in my body to move something. Anything. My head turns to the man and nods. He and I look back at the gladers.

"These trials that you are going through are for a very important cause. Of course we can't tell you everything. Just know that the more you react with the variables, the more you survive and you will be rewarded with the knowledge you that you have all helped in part of saving the human race." The man says.

"And of course yourselves." I quickly add. I force myself to speak my own words.

"Help... Me!" I manage to scream on my own. The man instantly snaps his head at me and my mouth is glued shut yet again. All the gladers are staring at me. I let out a tear. Newt looks at me with sorrow and fury in his eyes.

"This dude is shucked in the head." Minho whispered to Thomas.

"Yeah, how could we save the human race?" Thomas whispered back.

"We represent a group called WICKED." I said. Everyone looks at me. "I know it sounds horrible but it stands for..." I gain control of myself. "Help me!" I scream then they control me yet again. Everyone looks puzzled.

"WICKED stands for help me?" Minho asks.

"No sorry about that." I smile and continue. "WICKED stands for World In Catastrophe, Killzone Experiment Department. Nothing bad about it. We exist for one reason, to save the human race."

"You here in this room are very vital part of what we plan to do. We have technology and resources unknown to any group of any history of civilization. Nearly unlimited money, unlimited human capital and extreme advanced technology." The man says.

"As you make your way through the next Trials you will see this technology. You have already with the bodies and the brick walls. Sometimes what you see isn't real and what you don't see is real. We can manipulate your brains and nerve receptacles when necessary." I say. No one says anything, like they are trying to solve what we just said.

"The maze was one part of the trials. Not one variable was thrown at you that you couldn't see that it wasn't important. Your escape, the battle against you and the grievers, the murder of the boy Brent and Gally, the supposed rescue and subsequent trip was all apart of the Trials." The man says. "Any sort of feelings for one another. Fake."

Everything inside of me brakes. No, no, no! I look at Newt with pleading in my eyes. What they just said was false. I loved Newt with everything, my heart, my soul and everything and the creators just made it fall apart into tiny little pieces. I try to show Newt it was a lie but he just looks down at the ground.