covers

josh and y/n do promotional videos for their show via classic disney songs.

you and josh had been chosen by disney to create a mini series on the disney youtube channel. well, chosen in the sense that it's a promotional thing for the show you both were cast in: high school musical: the musical: the series. the series was one you actually quite liked and were excited to start. to fully jump into the disney family, you two would be singing covers from classic disney songs.

and you couldn't forget the other reason you were excited: you were alone, in a room, with joshua bassett, at least two times a week. plus the added time of working out key changes, you might as well have moved in with the guy.

considering you had a crush on him since you saw him in grey's anatomy, it was absolute heaven that not only are you his friend you're his co-star and love interest in a show. your first big break and honestly, if it were your last well...that was just the price you had to pay for being within arms reach of him.

okay, yes, you'll admit your crush was a little... obsessive. but you hoped it was obsessive in the cute, aww who wouldn't be obsessed with him? not in the, 'joe goldberg, murder multiple people to be with you' way.

but is it even obsession if you actually have a relationship with the guy? not a relationship relationship. but a relationship nonetheless. at that point it's just human nature. and who could argue with that?

you walked over to the designated room you were given in disney studios. the room was for filming songs, full of costumes and backdrops. the whole thing was very cute. we had a costume for every member of the disney family.

you pushed open the door to see josh, guitar in hands, plucking out a random melody. when he saw you he grinned. he was already in costume to begin filming.

"oh, sorry have you been waiting long?" you asked, nervous that he had been there a long time.

"no. just like fifteen minutes. i came earlier to warm up my voice." he explained.

"ah, i see. i did that in the car." you nodded, crossing your arms over your chest to seem cool and calm.

"and by that you mean you belted dead mom from beetlejuice the whole way here?" he asked, knowing how much you love the soundtrack.

you laughed,"you know me too well."

"got that right. ready for today?" he asked setting the guitar down.

"so ready. i've wanted to do this song since the movie came out in 2010." you answered, going over to your rack and looking for your costume.

"the movie came out in 2010?" he gasped, clearly shocked by the new information.

"i know right. i swear it came out like a few years ago. but no." you shrugged and grabbed the purple dress.

"hm. the more you know." he commented.

you nodded and slipped on the dress over your clothes. you were only wearing a cropped tank top and a skirt anyways.

"perfect. now for the backdrop." you walked over and looked through them. they pulled down like maps once you attached them in the right place.

you found the one with the lanterns and put it up.

"alright, i think we've got it."

"awesome. i put the track in the sound system. all we have to do it hit record." josh smiled and pressed the button.

"hi, guys! i'm y/n l/n, and this is joshua bassett." you grinned.

"and i'm joshua bassett," he nodded causing you to laugh lightly,"this is something new we're starting called...um, epic covers with y/n and josh for epic disney lovers who like epic voices and epic videos." he made up the title as he went along.

"it's also a series where we only know one adjective," you teased josh for his lack of vocabulary,"and i'm y/n l/n and this is joshua bassett and we're gonna sing i see the light from tangled." you told them, continuing the name joke.

"and i'm joshua bassett." josh pressed the play button on the remote he had in his hands.

you laughed, but regained your composure as it was almost your cue.

(y/n: italics, josh: bold, both: underline)

all those days watching from the windows, all those years outside looking in. all that time never even knowing just how blind i've been. now i'm here blinking in the starlight. now i'm here suddenly i see, standing here it's all so clear, i'm where i'm meant to be. and at last i see the light, and it's like the fog has lifted. and at last i see the light, and it's like the sky is new. and it's warm and real and bright. and the world has somehow shifted. all at once everything looks different, now that i see you.

all those days chasing down a daydream. all those years living in a blur. all that time never truly seeing things, the way they were. now she's here shining in the starlight. now she's here suddenly i know. if she's here it's crystal clear, i'm where i'm meant to go.

and at last i see the light

and it's like the fog has lifted

and at last i see the light

and it's like the sky is new

and it's warm and real and bright. and the world has somehow shifted. all at once everything is different. now that I see you. now that I see you.

you guys finished singing, beaming at each other, not realizing just how talented the other was.

you guys shared a quick hug, getting caught up in the moment. i mean, what could you say? a romantic song with a longtime crush...it'd be hard for anyone not to space. the editors will cut it out anyways.

you shook out of it turning back to the camera,"i hope you guys liked it."

josh shook his head curls bouncing. it seemed he was pretty caught up as well.

he cleared his throat,"yeah, i'm y/n l/n and this is joshua bassett, signing off."

"and i'm joshua bassett!" you said quickly before he stopped recording.

he laughed,"we're funny."

"yeah, we are funny. no one else will think so, but..." you trailed off.

"yeah...oh well," he shrugged turning to grab his regular clothes before returning his attention to you,"next song i'm thinking...love is an open door?"

you grinned. he knew you loved that song. you made him sit down and watch frozen with you, you singing every song full out.

"you're an angel." i breathed out.

"hey, that's just the party talking." he dismissed me, while also making a reference to the song.

"or the chocolate fondue." i shrugged nonchalantly, walking over to my costume rack.

i heard his infectious laugh, making my heart melt.

thank god for disney, and all their promotional prowess.