faith

y/n is none too pleased about her boyfriend, ricky bowen playing opposite his ex-girlfriend.

"ugh, come on ricky." you groaned flopping down onto your couch. you had invited him over so you two could hang out, not so he could bring you had news.

"i'm sorry! i didn't plan this. you know i only auditioned because you said we'd get to spend more time together." he took a seat next to you.

"yeah, and if i has known that i'd be fucking taylor mckessie, and that your ex would be gabriella, and you would be troy, i would have made you sign up for props." you rolled your eyes.

he sighed,"i know it sucks. but you can't seriously be mad at me about this. i didn't decide, i'm not the drama teacher."

in your head, you knew he was right. but when it came to nini, you always got very insecure. you saw how their relationship used to be, seeing as it was always on her instagram. that song she wrote him...well it was something you knew you could never do for him.

he hung his head after you didn't answer.

"dude, what's actually wrong?" he asked you, placing a hand on your shoulder.

you two had opted out of the normal pet names. you both thought names like babe and baby were kind of dumb. instead you used things like dude and the occasional love, because you thought that one was cute.

you took a deep breath, not sure you should tell him. what would happen if you did?

you weighed the options for a little. he could tell you were thinking, so he let you. in the meantime he played with the ends of your hair, at one point using a little bit of it to make a mustache for himself.

you chuckled lightly, deciding you trusted him enough to answer.

"well, it's just...you know, i saw how you two were. you had all these special things, she wrote a song for you. i mean, when was i ever gonna be able to do that for you? i'm just... afraid you'll realize...i don't know, that you'll realize she's better for you." you told him, not really looking at him that whole time.

it was weird for you to be serious. that wasn't really your thing. especially not with him. but here you were, laying it all out.

he nudged you,"are you kidding? y/n come on, don't you have a little faith in me?" he smiled lightly.

he was joking. you weren't.

"no, of course i do. i just...have no faith in me." you shrugged simply. that was the truth. it was all you could say.

he sighed resting his forehead on your shoulder,"y/n l/n, i'm with you. and i'm very happy. and nothing is going to change that. if you don't believe me...then what are we even doing?"

he was right. and you knew it.

"i'll try not to be like that. okay?" you lifted up his head with your hands.

he scrunched his nose and pecked your lips.

"awesome. can we watch the good place now?" he asked grabbing the tv remote from the table in front of the couch.

"yes we can." you answered.

he played it from where you left off, which was the very beginning of season three.

he slugged his arm around you and you nuzzled into the crook of his neck. this was your favorite thing.

you sat at the read through, watching as nini and ricky talked. you knew you said you wouldn't be mad. however, you thought he would be hanging out with you.

"i wouldn't worry about that." big red took the empty seat next to you. it was labelled ryan evans, but it's okay.

"and why's that?" you asked, crossing your arms over your chest and sitting back.

"you should hear the way he talks about you. it's crazy." the ginger told you, making you smile lightly.

"thanks, red." you turned to him.

"no problem. i'll see you later." he stood up and tried to walk out. he failed, ms. jenn scooping him up and sitting him at the stage manager plate.

nini walked away from ricky, and ricky looked back at you and winked obnoxiously. you laughed and rolled your eyes.

he walked over and took his seat next to you.

"what were you two on about?" you asked, turning towards him.

"oh, we're just getting back together." he shrugged nonchalantly.

"you're not funny." you shook your head. he had a wicked sense of humor. he's lucky you do too.

"yes i am."

you sat at your locker, rummaging through the trash at the bottom of it. somewhere in there was your unrevised english essay. and you'd be damned if you weren't gonna find it.

the only reason you stopped was cause you heard a light knock on the door of it. you furrowed you eyebrows,'who knocks on a locker?' you thought to yourself as you peered over to see who it was.

well, come to find out it was ej caswell. what did he want?

"what's up, elizabeth jean?" you made up the initials, continuing to look for your english paper.

"hey, y/n. i need to talk to you."

"i need to find my english essay. maybe later?" you suggested, dismissing him.

he sighed and took a seat next to you,"this'll only take a second."

"i'm listening." you continued to look through a stack of papers.

"okay. i saw the way you were looking at nini and ricky. i'm suspicious too. i thought maybe...we could work together." he told you.

you stopped what you were doing at looked at him. is he serious?

"ej, that's cute. you're very...freeform drama show. and i appreciate that. but my problem with nini and ricky has nothing to do with ricky. it's my own weird thing with myself. sorry, you just have to trust nini." you told the boy, wondering why he dated nini if he's that insecure with the relationship.

"well, guess i'll be on my way then." he said bitterly, standing up and walking away.

you went back to the papers, flipping through a few more. you finally found it! rhetorical analysis paper written by yours truly.

just as you were about to stand up, you saw ricky run up and jump down next to you, knocking into you and pushing you towards the floor.

you laughed and steadied yourself,"hey, ricky."

"hey. what did ej want?" ricky asked you.

you decided against telling the truth. it didn't help anyone.

"oh, nothing. just asking about the rehearsal schedule. but hey! look what i found?" you grinned and held the paper up.

"wow. how'd you possibly find it in this mountain of garbage in your locker. clean you locker out." ricky looked past you and into your locker.

"don't tell me what to do, b word." you pushed him lightly.

that was another thing you liked to call him. it was funny to only to two of you.

"you're a b word," he stood up and held his hand out,"come on, let's go to english."

you took his hand and smiled as he continued to hold it after you got up. you went to english together and you were as content as possible.

maybe you did have a little faith in the relationship. just a little.