overdue

y/n has been waiting to check out a certain book from the library for months. coincidentally ricky bowen, has had that book shoved in his locker for just that amount of time.

you walked into the library before school, just as you did every week, to see if the book you had wanted was finally back in. you jokingly strutted over to the front desk, seeing the librarian groan once he noticed you.

"hey, mitchell. got my book?" you questioned, using his first name to annoy him.

"oh, y/n. what did i do you deserve your presence every week," he smiled falsely,"seriously. whatever i did, i repent. please god, make it stop."

you chuckled and rolled your eyes,"well...is it in?"

a few 'that's what she said' jokes chimed out from the computers nearby, causing you to exhale a light laugh. you were a sucker for a good that's what she said joke.

"obviously not. it's hasn't been in the last ten weeks you've asked, why would it be in now?" mr. mcnall gave you an annoyed look.

that was his last name. mcnall. mitchell mcnall, the humble librarian from salt lake city. the perfect thriller movie, waiting to be filmed.

you let out a sigh, running a hand through your hair. all you wanted to do was read a stupid book. and you had no money to buy it yourself, otherwise you would have by now.

"well, this person must have like eighty thousand dollars worth of book debt. you should track them down," you contemplated the idea,"yeah, yeah you definitely have to track them down. and then you have to confront them, resulting in the ultimate battle scene. and then you will be henceforth known as....book boy. the baddest superhero around." you nodded thoughtfully, fully taking in the idea.

"wow. you should write a script." he said flatly.

you smiled,"i know. i'll call it,'book boy: the musical. score written by alan menken."

"get out." mr. mcnall pointed towards the door.

you frowned, deciding today was the day you were gonna find out whoever has this book.

"can you at least tell me who has the book?" you crossed your arms over your chest and sighed.

"against policy. 'fraid not. bye now."

time to pull out the big guns.

"okay," you sighed turning towards the doors,"guess i'll just...come back. everyday. until the book is finally, finally returned. i'll see you. everyday. at seven. everyday." you reiterated, knowing the more you said it, the more desperate he would get.

he stared at you in exasperation, clearly weighing his options. after a moment he caved with a deep sigh.

"fine! but you can only come here for two minutes at a time from now on." he narrowed his eyes at you.

you grinned, satisfied with the victory. though he acted like he hated you, he found your interactions to be entertaining. they made the life of a high school librarian amusing.

he typed away on his computer, clicking at things you had no idea about.

"it looks like the book was last checked out by a...richard bowen." he read off the screen.

"richard bowen? i don't know a richard. i know a ricky-ohhhhhh." you realized who it was, and nodded.

"great. bye!"

you waved lightly and walked out of the library. ricky bowen, huh? he didn't exactly seem to be the reading type to you. and if he was...well, clearly he was a very slow reader.