Melodic Voice

I wondered off to notice an odd entrance on the side of the Opera House. I walked closer to take a look into it. A strange feeling fell over me, it was a dark tunnel that leads somewhere in the Opera House.

As a curious cat I am, I slowly and quietly walked inside. The sound of darkness was filling me with anxiousness and wonder. I continue further when I hear a soft, deep, and disembodied voice.

"Where are you headed Madame?" The voice calls out to me. I answer it nervously. "I-I am to be at the audition." Voice again calls out. "You are to not be in here."

In fear, I run out of the tunnel. I ran to the  main entrance of the Opera House, signed my name on the sign up for the audition sheet and entered inside. I sat at the upper row in the main area of the Opera and to the far right, last seat. No one sat next to me or in front of me. I was alone.

Madame Giry came out to announce the names of the ladies one by one to come up and audition. I could tell it was going to be a while before my name was called. I slowly drifted off then I heard the voice again say something I couldn't understand. I looked around, saw nothing I went back to drifting off. Then the voice spoke.

"Waiting to preform I see." Voice whispered. "I am." I spoke softly back.

I heard nothing back, except for Madame Giry's voice say "Y/n is up." I hurried my way up, feeling stares all around. I walked up to the stage.

The music started and I sing the song.

"You were once my one companion
You were all that mattered
You were once a friend and father
Then my world was shattered

Wishing you were somehow here again
Wishing you were somehow near
Sometimes it seem if I just dream
Somehow you would be here

Wishing I could hear your voice again
Knowing that I never would
Dreaming of you won't help me to do
All that you dreamed I could"

I finished singing and I heard loud claps around. I brushed passed Madame Giry and her daughter, Meg. Madame Giry spoke "Good voice you have." I nodded to her in a way to say thank you. Then I walked off.

(20 minutes later)

Auditions were done and I had went over to who got the call back to stay. I was one on the list. A grin came across my face.

Madame Giry had announce. "Anyone who got a call back must stay." I had followed as Madame Giry lead a decent sized group of ladies to the dancing hall where beds in rooms were, 2 beds in each room. We each were assigned a room. Mine happened to be to with Madame Giry's daughter, Meg.

I sat quietly on my bed in one of the many rooms. Meg broke the silence by saying. "Your voice is lovely, you should really be proud." I looked at her and smiled. "Why thank you, I should um introduced myself. I am y/n." I told her. "Pretty name! I am Meg, the dance instructors daughter."

I smiled at her once again and laid down on the bed looking up at the ceiling. I noticed Meg had left the room. I felt the darkness again, I felt alone.

The voice came back. "You did well dear." I looked around again. Nothing. "Thank you." I responded shyly. "You have a beautiful voice y/n. I would like you to read the letter I have written to you." Then the silence grew back. And a note flew through a slit in the wall.