CHAPTER 9

CHAPTER 9: STAKE OUT

You were only at the house for a few hours at most, but as time passed, it was apparent why no one spoke ill of Arkeus. Beyond his daunting stature and standoffish visage, the human was merely a charming and raddled man. For the right reasons, you were initially detached from the male - considering you could only see him as your abductor. But your biases and prejudice fleeted just as hastily as they came to exist. That was especially the case when you saw the pure content that bloomed in the man's amber hues when he learned that you would be his guest for the night.

Despite the new and fragile state of the relationship, it felt wrong to deceive him - a feeling that was mutual between Uzner and you. The boy was wide-eyed the entire evening, shaking like a leaf. You were lucky that the blacksmith was impossibly oblivious. Anyone else in their right mind would have been able to put two and two together. That being said, you didn't want to test your chances with the man. After all, you thought no one followed you on the night of your thievery. But as it turned out - you had the Prince of Katolis on your tail the entire time without even knowing.

With that in mind, Uzner and you laid awake until you were certain that the ol' man was deep into his dreams and snoring away. When the time was right, you headed out and congregated with your partner in crime. Not a word was shared until you were further into the town and away from the eyes of spectators. But even then, the honey-skinned male was diffident. "Having second thoughts?" You smiled, hoping your false cheer would remedy him of his distress.

But when the young man looked at you with a look of vitality and tenacity in his eyes, you realized you had read him wrong. "No. I mean . . . if the Prince doesn't doubt the plan - then why should I, right?"

"Ehh . . ."

"What now?"

"What if he's nothing but talk?"

The young smith stopped hastily. His face was pale. "What - what is that supposed to mean?"

"Not that it should affect our plan but . . ." you shrugged, "I wouldn't count on the Prince's attendance. Obviously he was kind enough to excuse the entire situation but he really doesn't have a reason to put his arse on the line for us."

"That . . . can't be true-"

"It is. And I'm sorry if I sound mean. But I bet he's at the castle right now - safe and sound - either sleeping away or mocking us from afar for falling for his act. That's just how royals are! Or at least I think it is . . ." You muttered the last part beneath your breath before continuing on confidently. "They use people. Especially for entertainment. You know? I'd honestly be impressed if he even bothers to greet us the next time we see him-"

"In that regard, consider yourself impressed," a familiar voice said from behind him. Again - you didn't have to see the source to know that the noble had the smuggest grin on his face. Regardless, it did startled you to see the high-blood emerge from a murky alleyway. "Hello! And by the way, I thought we were through with insulting each other."

"I-"

"Anyways," The Lord chuckled, pacing ahead. Uzner and you exchanged a brief guilty look before scurrying off behind him. "I prepared a carriage for our stake out. It's not too far from the shop. Come on!"

The three of you sneaked through cracks and crevices of the village and arrived to a location near your destination. The vessel that the Prince promised was parked deep into a shadowy aisle adjacent from the store. At first, you thought it wasn't concealed enough. But a while into the night, a prideful mongrel strutted into the backstreet. Despite its acute sense of scent and hearing, it failed to note the carriage and was scared half-to-death when your presence came into view.