CHAPTER 26

__________________________

A/N

If you're looking to immerse yourself in this chapter or want to feel lovey-dovey, listen to "Bloom" by JT Roach & "Simply the Best" by Noah Reid. I promise, you will not be disappointed!
Enjoy the chapter xx

_________________________

CHAPTER 26: SHE IS IN BLOOM

The people of Katolis dubbed him and his companions after the child's tale called the Three Musketeers. The Prince found it fitting. After all, it was a spectacle to see the kingdom's three largest personalities become the unlikeliest of friends. The village folks cautioned him though - told him not to trust his heart with a bond that would likely perish someday. Their whispers rained on his parade. Yet, the high-blood couldn't help but agree. Because at the end of the day, the truth was - you, Uzner and Harrow bickered like mutts on a tether.

But that didn't mean the three of you would wake up one day and say you despise one another.

It wasn't possible.

Because the friendship you folks shared was immaculate. You were the spice in the rice, thick as thieves, and cut from the same cloth. Even someone as practical as the alchemist could see how inseparable you were. So, with steady faith, Harrow was able to say that things wouldn't change, and that three of you would always be the mettlesome troop of imbeciles that the people loved to hate.

Of course, just as you anticipated, the Prince had to eat his words.

A few winters after Sal Dorei, the dynamic between you and the high-blood took a quantum leap. He wasn't entirely sure whether the feeling was mutual - but to him - touches were no longer just touches. Gazes seemed to linger for longer than usual. And, for christ's sake, he could not figure out why your god-damn chappy lips made him dampen his own.

But friends are friends.

And lovers are lovers.

Harrow knew merging those two definitions would result in inevitable drama. Besides, King Milan was still breathing down his neck, hysteric about how close the young man got to you. If the regent discovered the lad was infatuated with you, there'd be no telling what he'd do. So, the high-blood held his tongue and vowed to discontinue his feelings.

Certainly that was easier said than done.

Especially after your First Moon ceremony.

Initially, Harrow had no intentions of paying you a visit - at least not until the festivities were over. But after you bared your troubles to him, he could not get you out of his head. So, despite the consequences, he waited for the witching hour to descend on the great domain before setting out to the blacksmith's. After minutes of bilking guards and stray villagers, Harrow eventually found himself at the humble townhouse. However, right before he could turn the corner and march to the entrance, the neighbouring crone emerged from her dwelling and swung her lantern across the length of the thoroughfare.

"What the hell is all the commotion about?!"

At the sound of her yawping, the lad ducked into an alleyway between the houses to remain out of sight. He passed a beat in stillness before curiosity enticed him to investigate the woman's ill temper. Peering over the edge of the structure, the Prince thought he'd see someone confront the elder and shush her back into her home. But instead, he saw the crone narrowing her eyes at the forger's place. Baffled, the male canted in to study her line of sight, but jerked back against the stony wall when roaring cheers and raucous clapping pierced through the night air. Just when the noise tapered off, a deafening bang came from the window to his left. It piqued his interest in a flash, but for obvious reasons the male was tentative to probe. In due course, however, Harrow shuffled over and keeked through the pane.