Never gonna happen

Marie

"Okay that's settled. Let's go then." Dante says and I look at him quizzically.

"What do you mean? I'm not going anywhere." I fold my arms and he stands up from the couch.

"Yes, go get dressed. I'm going to take you out somewhere to get your mind off of things." He tells me and I roll my eyes.

"Dante, I already told you I don't want to go anywhere. I just want to sit in the comfort of my own home and sulk." I argue and he reaches down and grabs my arms, pulling me up.

"Look, we may not be best friends or super close. But I care about you for some reason, and so I'm going to take you out because you should be smiling. Not crying." He chides and I look at him in awe.

"Are you trying to make a move on me?" I ask jokingly and pull my arms out of his grasp. I crack a goofy smile and he smiles, while shaking his head.

"Yes, Marie. I'm just trying to scoop you up and take you away because I want to date a freshly heartbroken girl." He jokes and I feel a little sting.

"Well, I hate to break it to you. But even if I wasn't a 'freshly heartbroken girl' it's never gonna happen." I stab jokingly. However he looks a little hurt. His eyes close a little and his smile falls.

"Whatever miss tough girl. Go get dressed." He says and smirks a little, like he's uncomfortable.

"Okay fine. But only because I want to, not because you told me to." I joke and turn around, heading for my bedroom.

"Wear something casual but nice!" He shouts and I smile a little. The idea of going out feels kinda nice actually.

*****

"The bowling alley? Dante I wore a sundress!" I shout and look at him in horror. He looks over at me and his eyes rake over my appearance.

"Yeah, you're right. Okay let's go somewhere else." He says and reversed out of the parking spot and gets onto the highway.

"You should've just told me to wear jeans and a shirt." I grumble and he laughs, waving his hand in the air.

"No, you look good in the dress. I'll just have to change the plans." He argued and I blush a little. This is dangerous, my freshly broken heart is going to attach to him as a rebound.

"Thank you." I mumble and look out the window. God, this is uncomfortable. I need him to give me space, I have other friends who can do this type of stuff for me.

But do you really have those friends Marie?

I argue with myself mentally and let out a deep sigh once I come to the realization. No, I don't have friends who would go out of their way to make me feel better. Maybe I should find some. Maybe I should go out more and meet some new girls, or guys. I'm open to either option.

"Why the big sigh?" Dante asks and my head whips to my left. I stare at him for a split second and then just shrug my shoulders.

"I don't know. I guess I was just lost in my thoughts." I answer and he chuckles.

"Well what were you so caught up thinking about?" He asks and I look at his side profile, studying him for a moment.

"Well, just how I need more friends I guess." I answer honestly and he looks over at me for a second before turning his attention back to the road.

"More friends? What, I'm not good enough for you?" He asks and my eyes go wide. I lightly smack his shoulder and scoff.

"That's not at all what I said or meant. Besides, your just doing this because your dad asked you to." I say, in a sort of mean way. Hey, what can I say? I'm emotional and very sensitive at the moment.