Twenty-One

PoV: Tails

  Sticks and I searched the woods. We checked every cave, every hollow tree, abandoned shack, anywhere someone could hide. It took time, but we found Amy and Knuckles who were arguing with Shadow.

"Shadow!" I interrupted them, "Where's Sonic!"

"Your blind companion is with Eggman. If you don't mind I'd like to be on my way. I have no interest in joining your pathetic fight against Eggman," Shadow disappeared with chaos control and Amy turn to us.

"We almost had him on our side," she snapped.

"Sonic was kidnapped," Sticks stated, cutting the tension, "So you can wither help, or leave like th unfaithful teammates you are," she grabbed my hand and started walking away, "Let's go Tails."

"Right," I began spinning my tails and I flew us towards Eggman's base. I looked back, they weren't following us...

  I'm sorry Sonic, I'm sorry they abandoned you.

PoV: Sonic

"I'm... g... g-gonna f-freeze to d-d-death in h-here..." it was frigid in 'the vault'. I had my free hand tucked into my armpit to keep my fingers warm. My right arm was still in a cast from when Eggman attacked, I felt like I was losing my right fingers to frostbite. Metal... please... hurry...

  I was too cold to move now. I had pushed myself against something, and the was all I could do. I didn't know how much time passed, I never did anymore. I felt burning heat on my cheeks, my own tears were too hot for my frozen skin. I lost feeling in my legs and right hand... this is it... Metal...

PoV: 3rd Person

  Metal Sonic was trapped outside Eggman's lair, consistantly battling the robots that seemed endless. His sensors quickly picked up the presence of two others. Tails and Sticks. Metal recalibrated his attacks to focused on clearing a path for them  to get them inside. Metal's programing desperately scanned for Sonic's thoughts and found none. The lead vault Eggman had locked him in blocked Metal's transmissions. Metal hadn't saved Sonic's memories so he could search them for Eggman's last words to him. Metal broke down the wall into he lair and watched Taiks and Sticks run inside. He followed them, using his remaining power to keep Eggman's badniks away from them. They searched every room in the Eggmans lair yet they hadn't found Sonic. In furry Metal grabbed Orbot and Cubot. He held them in front of Tails and Sticks.

"Tell us where Sonic is!" Sticks demanded, "Or else."

"He's in the vault! The vault behind the freezer!" Cubot sputtered in fear being the weaker mind of the pair.

"You dunderbolts!" Eggman shouted. Metal only fired a blast besides Eggman to frighten him off.

  After tossing the two robots aside Metal flew at full speed to the vault. He tore down the door in seconds and flew inside. He found Sonic and scanned his body while carrying him out of the vault. Sonic wasn't moving, he had no energy to and was attempting to conserve heat. His heart beat was weak an this breathing was minor. He had frost on his fur that was now quickly melting into cold water. He was barely alive... any longer and it would have been too late.

  Metal blasted out of the lair and flew out to the beach. He buried Sonic's body in the warm sand, leaving his face exposed. He started a fire besides Sonic and stole a women's scarf to wrap around Sonic's head and warm his face.

It took time for Tail's and Sticks to catch up with them, by then Sonic's body was starting to warm up. Metal scanned Sonic every minute to see how his heart was slowly beating faster and his vitals were returning to normal. The scan also showed that the broken bones in Sonic's wrist and pinky were healed, as well as the fractures in his palm.

"We need to get him to a hospital," Tails place a hand on Metal's shoulder, "Metal, let us take him to one."

  Metal wrapped the scarf around Sonic's neck and picked him out of the sand, handing his to Sticks. The two ran off, taking Sonic to the nearest hospital where he was treated for frostbite and wrapped in an electric blanket to regulate his body temperature. His cast was removed and replaced by a brace as he slept. Vanilla was immediately called, now and officially Sonic's legal guardian.

PoV: Sonic

"... ... mm..." I felt like I was still freezing cold, yet there was something warm around me.

"Sonic," I heard Vanilla's voice I wanted to reach my hand out to her.

"... Vanilla..." I called her, my body ached too much to move, "... it hurts..."

"What hurts Sonic? I'll have a nurse look at you," I felt her take hold of my hand... my right hand.

"Everything... is my cast off?" I asked.

"Yes, you hand is completely healed. You have a brace now," she answered.

"Sonic," I heard Tails' voice.

"Tails..."

"Yeah, Sticks is here too," he took my left hand.

"You're in a hospital," Sticks spoke.

"Did you guys stop Eggman?" I wanted to sleep... I felt so tired.

"They saved you Sonic," I heard Cream's voice as I started to drift off.

"Chao chao chao!"

"That... good..."

"You will be safe from now on," I heard metal's voice in my dreams. I was glad it was what I got to fall asleep to.

Thank you... for... ... saving... me... ... ...

~~~