12 | Like A Bee To Nectar

Igbo? How could this boy that looked like an Angolan or Kenyan or Ghanaian or Malian(not Marlian) be Igbo?!

Impossi-can't! Chizutere?

I was expecting something like; Miguel or Travis or Andreas or Derrick or Maputo or Gertrude or Madiba(No, he doesn't deserve Nelson Mandela's honorary name), or something un-Nigerian, something exotic and foreign, but voilà, a Nigerian name! - Igbo for that matter - for such a beautiful beast as this!

God, sure is wonderful!

So many Nigerian people think English or foreign names are the best and beautiful for their children, but I think originality is the real beauty. I must say, I was impressed and I let my curiosity take the best of me.

"Sorry, what's your full name?"

"My full name?" His eyebrows shifted downward, then they rose up again.

Hey, guy, the fact I asked for your full name doesn't mean I've consented to all the evil you've done to girls in this school.

"Full name is Chizutere Charles Chen."

This time, my jaw almost got dislocated from my mouth. "Your... mum is Igbo and... your dad is-"

"Chinese Mongol." He said, smiling like he had won a lottery or something. I didn't like that smile on his face but I couldn't hide my shock either. I didn't get. If his father was Chinese why was he as black as my grandma's he-goat?

"Chinese Mongols are Chinese who are coloured. In the thirteenth century the Mongol Empire defeated the whole of China and dominated its territories for the first time in history." He smiled again like some old, wise, Chinese monk. "Genghis Khan is believed to have been Mongol..."

Lightning struck! No, this time, real lightning. I hadn't even noticed the weather had changed and the crowd in the field had thinned out. It would rain soon, and it would be heavy and I contemplated whether "Girl-kiss Can" or whatever-his-name-is had helped me in anyway...

No.

Not one bit.

Therefore, I have to stop Mr. Chinese monk here from ranting sweet nothings, but it turns out he used his initiative to stop himself by himself when he probably saw I was emitting prolonged, elaborate yawns already.

"Wanna get going?" He offered, standing up and slapping the dust off his rear. "You don't want to get wet before you return to that cage of yours." He was referring to my hostel. My hostel wasn't a cage! Or Was it? What were the requirements of being a cage sef? I stood up too and cleaned my back as we strolled down the bleachers.

Woah! Amazing!

"Is it?" He said uninterestedly.

"What?" Oh my God "Did- Did I say that out loud?"

"Yes, you did." He replied, pushing his hands into the pockets of his grey joggers.

"What did I say?"

"Don't expect me to repeat." He stole a proud glance at me through the corner of his eyes.

I rolled my eyes and folded my arms, letting out an impatient sigh.