(43)

"Will you let me in?" 

Lisa asked. 

The sincerity was clear in her pleading voice. I held onto the lock wondering whether or not should grant her access. Despite all the evidence telling me that I should leave Lisa alone all together, I couldn't. She deserved a chance to tell her side of the story. I unlocked my door and as she walked in I told her.

"I can't handle anyone lying to me. If you want me, you have to be honest. I understand that talking about your past is difficult but I have to know." 

She nodded. 

"I understand." 

"Who was he?" 

She exhaled a big puff of air. 

"My mother's boyfriend." 

"Why'd you hurt him?" 

"Because he hurt my mom." 

She grumbled looking everywhere but my face. 

"And me." 

"How?" 

"He hit her." 

" and he hit you?" 

I asked. 

She shook her head. 

"I wish I were lucky enough to just get smacked around." 

Lisa fought a cryptic giggle as she looked around. 

"You're staying here?" 

"How did he hurt you?" 

She was dodging my question but I couldn't let her. I moved toward her and stroked her cheek. She leaned into my hand for just a second before pulling away. 

"I thought we agreed that you were staying with me." 

I raised my brow. "I never said that. How did he hurt you?"

"There are some things you think you want to know but you don't. You can't handle it. And I can't handle telling you." 

I folded my arms and plopped on the bed in defeat. 

"Who are you to tell me what I can and can't handle?" 

Lisa shut her eyes before she let her head fall back against the wall.