End (48)

Lisa's POV

"You're the woman responsible for wrecking my daughter's marriage?"

It's a rhetorical question. Or that's' how I decide to treat it. Can't beat my eventual father-in-laws ass can I?"

"Kwon Jiyong."

He holds out his hand and I shake it firmly stifling the urge to break it. I hate that I admire the strength behind the handshake. He raised Jen on his own for most of her life I have to admire him for that. The fact that he favors him doesn't hurt much either. He's got more gray in his facial hair than in the photos I saw of him earlier and more wrinkles. He must've changed out of his police uniform because he's now dressed casually in a plain T-shirt and jeans with a dog tag around his neck. 

We settled in the dining room around the dinner table surrounded by mounds of seafood, corn on the cob and potatoes. And a few bottles of wine which I am more than grateful for. I didn't know what this evening would bring but I knew it wouldn't be a walk in the park. Jiyong loved Jennie fiercely and he wasn't thrilled about handing her over especially not to someone like me and yeah I'll agree I'm not that charming. And most of the time I say what I'm thinking which a lot of people don't appreciate. But, whatever. I am who I am. I love his daughter and will protect her from anything and everything including myself. That should be the most important thing. Not my fucked up history.

I rest my arm over Jen's chair finding comfort in the barrier I'm trapping her in. I shake hands with V, Jen's brother who eyes me up and down as he shakes my hand following his dads lead. 

He's dressed similarly but with tattoos covering most of his arms and a lot more muscle. Not nearly that much but he wears it well. Sitting next to him is the mother of his child, Tzuyu who is the first to greet me with a smile since Jen's mom. There's a baby on her hip, sleeping peacefully against her shoulder. 

She has rich brown hair like her mom, with chubby features and a complexion a lot warmer than her mothers' more like V and Jennie's. I notice someone unfamiliar slipping into the seat opposite of me. He doesn't look like family and I don't remember Jennie mentioning having two brothers. I look to her for answers but Jiyong spoke first. 

"This is Mino. He and my daughter dated back in high school." 

My body tenses. I'm smiling but my teeth clamp down hard on each other. I shake his hand sizing him up. From what I know, his relationship with Jennie didn't go far. Kai was Jennie's first serious relationship but the fact that he's had any part of her invokes murderous feelings in me. 

She squeezes my thigh under the table and I relax. I cover her hand with mine as I search his face taking in his appearance. He has more of an edge than Kai. Decked out in leather cut, his black hair tucked under a slouchy cap and facial hair peppered along his jawline. He looks more like me than Kai, and I don't know how to feel about that. But the fact that there isn't a woman sitting next to him is sending the wrong damn message to my ass-kicking alter ego.

When everyone is seated and introductions are behind us, we settle into a comfort silence as we devour our meal followed by small talk. Eventually, Tzuyu leaves the table to nurse the baby, Dara clears the dishes while V and Mino gather near Jiyong like some army ready for combat against a common enemy - Me.