(46)

"Please, tell me you're joking." 

I say to my dad unable to wrap my head around the fact that he invited my girlfriend to dinner without consulting me in an effort to pry into my love life. I shouldn't be surprised. He's done this since I was a teenager but somehow I thought he would change now that I am an adult. But he's still the dictator I left behind. 

"I can't stand the thought of my daughter uprooting her life for a woman I know nothing about." 

"This isn't about you." 

"It's about me if you're acting out because of how your mom and I handled our relationship when you were a child." 

"If Kai can handle the dissolution of our marriage so can you." 

"That man is heartbroken." 

I leave my dad to retrieve the papers Kai gave me. 

"This is the only reason he agreed to see me." 

I tell him waving the divorce papers around. 

"He gave you these last night?"he asks. 

"Yes." 

He looks them over but his expression remains the same. 

"This doesn't change the fact that your actions are misguided." 

"Dis-invite her. I'll introduce you when you've had time to process this. You're upset. Something I can't quite understand since you made it blatantly clear throughout my entire marriage how much you disapproved of Kai." 

An odd thought crossed my mind. "Do you feel for him, Dad? Is that what this is?"

"Yes, I feel for him. I was in his position once. But like I said, this isn't about me. I love you and you should be with a good person that makes you happy. A decent one regardless if it's a man or woman I don't care. Just not a criminal. I might've been hard on Kai but I never not liked him."

 "Look how long you waited to tell me that Dad! When it doesn't matter anymore." 

"I won't change my mind." He says with a finality that grates my nerves. 

"I have to get going. See you at dinner." 

I roll my eyes and he kisses my forehead leaving me stumped. I look over at my mom.

"Do you agree with him?" 

My mom steps cautiously into the kitchen before she speaks.