Eighteen

" I trust you, Lubinga". Cass told me.

Cassandra looked at me for a while and I was getting uncomfortable 'cause I've never seen her this serious as in it was beyond 'having exams' serious. And she called me 'Lubinga' - well I know that's my name but she's on full name basis, so shit is serious here.

"Thank you, Cass". I told her while smiling at her.

She held on to my hands and they were cold; She was still shaking and at the time she was pale.

" Cass, you don't look too good. I should take you to see a doctor", I told her while getting up and pulling her - not roughly - in the process.

"No, I'm fine. Jus-", I cut her off.

" No Cass, you were crying and now you are so pale and you are shaking. Girl, I've never ever ever ever se-", I was rumbling and she cut off.

"Lulu, I'm okay", she said.

I got on both my knees and asked her, " then what's going on, Cass?".

"I trust you, Lubinga", she repeated.

"Thank you girl, but what's going on? Cas-", she cut me off.

"Bethany, is my child", she said in one breath. I looked at her - my eyeballs literally came off.

" Bethany, is my baby", she said with so much love.

"You cheated on Jonathan?", I asked. Even I was aware of how stupid it sounded.

" No", she said, a little defensive.

"I'm sorry.. I shouldn't have sai-", she cut me off.

" No, I'm sorry. I understand ", she said, " but please hear me out, okay?". I nodded my head.

"Jonathan knows nothing about her", she said and at this point I swallowed my tongue. She went on, " he is her father".

"You and Jonathan", is all I said 'cause I don't even know what I was going to ask.

" He is my high school sweetheart ", she told me with a smile on her face. She continued, " we became a thing when I was in the 11th grade and he was in his senior year".

"But", I said, still speechless.

" I'm getting there", she smiled and went on, "I lost my virginity the night before his graduation", she paused and took a deep breath. " A week after that, I caught him making out with Chloe. I was so pissed, we argued and I left. We didn't talk for weeks but one day, I was talking to one of his friends and Jonathan got super angry that he hit his friend ", I was shocked 'cause he looks like a peacemaker and Cass smiled at me like she read my mind.

" That day, we got into a huge fight but I don't know how but we ended up spending a night together", she continued, "our relationship was going great, I helped him pick the university of his choice. Everything was amazing until Chloe started being a pest. To be perfectly honest, I don't know how we all ended up together in 'uni'.. I'm sure she stalked him." She said and I gave her the 'Chloe is capable of anything' face even if I knew nothing about her but I'm sure I knew it all.

"So Jonathan and I spent our one year anniversary or rather weekend at his house - his parents' house which was part of his inheritance when they past away in a car crush", I felt bad when I heard this, my bestie. I just realised that him and I aren't that close after all.

" We had a good time. I was in my senior year and he was doing good as a freshman at his university. Lemme move forward to my graduation night, he took me out the usual thing - my dad hated him and all - we had a good night and I told my parents that I was spending the night at Camilla's but I was with Jonathan and we got a little naughty that night", she smiled but tears were threatening to come out and she continued, "three months after that, I found him about to have sex with that cursed bitch, I don't remember what happened but I woke up in a hospital bed and told everyone to not let Jonathan see me.

And that's when I found out I was pregnant and things were sweeter than sweet when dad got transfered here in Canada, I left the States happy and sad but I was mostly sad. I was sad for a long time until I nearly lost my baby that's when I decided to stop it." She smiled at me, "when I gave birth to Beth, my life had meaning. When she was 6 months old, I started applying to universities and our university accepted me and that meant I would leave my baby but my parents convinced me to come. When I got here the first person I saw was him. I don't know how things happened in a space of 12 months but we got together then we decided to start afresh as in behave like we just me. But I'm still battling with this secret. I don't want him to hate me or take Beth away. I don't want Beth to hate me when she's all grown. I don't know what to do", she cried.

I just sat down taking this information in. I would do the same if I was in her shoes but the situation is fucked.

"I've been avoiding him for the past three weeks. We've been together for a year plus now and it's been on and off but after the Chloe thing, he has been nothing but good to me and I don't know how he will take it", she cried in her hands.

" Cass, calm down", I told her whilst comforting her, "you have to tell him". She sat upright and looked at me.

____________

THANK YOU FOR READING.
PLEASE VOTE, SHARE AND COMMENT.