Kᴀʀᴍᴀ Cʜᴀᴍᴇʟᴇᴏɴ

.
.
.

▌│█║▌║▌║ ║▌║▌║█│▌

▌│█║▌║▌║ ║▌║▌║█│▌

I stepped through the dew-covered grass in the dense night as I made my way to the shed, the rickety structure illuminated by the reflection of the moon in the pond beside it. If it weren't for the lumbering shadows of the surrounding forest, I'd almost say it was peaceful.

I opened the creaking door to the shed, the only sound coming from my soft footsteps against the flooring.

I half-way shut the door behind me, turning to face Russell. I spoke in a soft and soothing voice to match the surrounding. "Hey Russell, how's it-"

I let out a shriek and my heart seemed to jump to my throat as the small figure flew out of the rafters, letting out a high pitched caw as he landed directly on the top of my head.

I wasn't able to even attempt to be stern and let out a soft chuckle. "Well, it seems like someone's feeling better already."

I felt Russel's movement and heard the flap of wings as he let out another caw.

His small wings carried him to his nest where he began poking at an object in his nest with his beak.

I raised an eyebrow curiously and took a step closer, rocking up onto my tiptoes in an attempt to see what was so important to the young crow.

A rush of surprise coursed through my veins as I saw the old and worn piece of paper. Another letter...

I carefully reached for the slip of paper, but Russell puffed his chest and ruffled his feathers as he let out an angry squawk.

I scrunched my nose, "hey, that could be important!" I said sternly. I crossed my arms and tapped my foot as Russell let out another shriek and flapped his feathers.

It was as though a lightbulb appeared over my head as I realized what treasure I had in my backpack.

I looked at the creature smugly. "Hey, guess what I have, fluffball," I taunted, pulling a bag of leftover granola from the side pocket of my bag. I poured the remainders into my hand temptingly.