Chapter 15: A Personal Teacher

Tired of being played around with, Clyde waited at the foot of the stairs in the palace for Kane. There was much the man had to answer for. One thing was certain – what did it mean to be one of the greatest Tamers of the age? Did his power match the power of Varensis or any of the other legendary Kin? From the start, Clyde couldn’t see anything that was so very spectacular about that man other than the fact the he hadn’t been able to tame a single rogue Kin since Clyde met him.

   If anything, Clyde was disappointed with Kane’s abilities thus far. Was he seriously considered a legend? The fact that he had defeated Ganthro was one thing, but losing the fight to Varensis and letting Euno escape certainly proved that Kane probably wasn’t as good as people were giving him credit for. And seriously? Even his enemies feared him? For what? The more he thought about it, the more it angered Clyde.

   He continued to sit there for a while – a long while. At least two hours. Before he knew it, he began dozing off on the chair he sat on. He walked around for a bit, watching as people walked in and out of the building every minute.

   At long last, Kane came strolling down the long set of stairs. The moment Clyde spotted him, he charged right at the man, causing him to grunt in shock.

   “You,” Clyde hissed.

   “What are you still doing here?”

   “I need a bunch of things answered. Now.”

   Kane frowned and shook his head. He walked down the steps and out the main door with Clyde on his tail.

   “Like what?”

   “Well, first, what the heck does it mean to be one of the greatest Tamers of the –?”

   “Don’t call me that,” Kane grunted. “People call me that for no reason… I’m no legend… Next question…”

   Clyde gave Kane a curious glance. That was an odd way to avoid a question… It almost seemed as if Kane despised that word. Maybe he himself realized he truly isn’t as good as people must think?

   Still, Clyde nodded and moved on to the next question.   

   “You never told me how Ignatious is always able to find you but the rest aren’t.”

   “In a way, I have explained it to you, but yeah, there are some blank spots I left last time I explained it. You see, Ignatious is my most trusted Kin, therefore, my bond with him is much stronger than the bonds I have with the other eighty-seven. The thing is, the Kin that you are the closest to tends to follow you more and more and you become closer. Not to mention that the rest have different duties to protect the island, leaving Ignatious always at my side.

   “When you shouted out where the fake beast was during the fight, you may have thought that Ignatious heard you. In a way, that’s true, but not quite. Like I said before, the more trust there is between your Kin and yourself, the more…connected you become – if that’s the right word. In other words, Ignatious can see what I see, hear what I hear, feel what I feel, and sense what I sense. When he wants to, he can sense the same emotions I’m going through. Whatever you say to me, he’s likely to hear it also.”

   Clyde lifted his eyebrows in confusion and Kane caught this. Annoyed, he grunted and waved his arms. “I’m not that great when it comes to explaining how Kin and human interact. It’s complicated – you’ll learn more about it in your classes.”

   There was not much more Clyde was going to get out of him from this question. Still, he had one more – probably the most important one of all. It was for this reason that Clyde highly doubted he would get an answer. Still, there was no harm in trying to push for it.