Chapter 12: The Vault-Keeper

“You know, I wish you could use your brain once in a while,” said Anya a few days later. “It would be some kind of accomplishment.”

   Clyde narrowed his eyes and looked back at his papers. Unlike his apartment, Anya’s room was so well-furnished and opulent, that it made Clyde’s room resemble a box. There was an enormous bed, a full-sized mirror, a balcony, a closet, and even a TV. Supposedly, the princesses came every now and then to take her to eat something.

   When asked how he was living so far, Clyde simply grunted. He had gone to visit her simply because he needed help on his homework. Since he didn’t know where any of his other friends lived, he was stuck here, under the mercy of Anya. She wasn’t too cocky about it, but she certainly didn’t hesitate to make fun of him.

   “Look, geometry isn’t my best subject,” he shot back. “You’d never see me here if this was like English or P.E.”

   At first, she was confused, but then she frowned. “Not that. I mean what you did that other day. Kassy told me what happened.”

   Clyde also frowned and turned back to face her. “Not you too,” he moaned. “C’mon, give me a break. I can be good at some stuff you know.”

   “You can be good at a lot of stuff if you just used your head.”

   The subject was quickly dropped and she went back to explaining the midpoint formula. Clyde had to admit that she was an excellent teacher and within ten minutes, the concept was as simple as counting. He smiled at the thought of Tony and wondered what that kid was doing right now. Probably running his bandaged face to third period – even though it was a Saturday.

   His mind quickly wandered over to Ms. Hansen. For some reason, just the thought of her made the boy smile. The old fart never needed him except for the money she received from the state to take care of him. She was probably having the time of her life with him gone – even though she was probably no longer receiving any payment for her “services.”

   Clyde thanked Anya and began packing up all of his things. There was still a lot more work for him to do at home. Anya was kind enough to remind him to look over his Taming notes. He let out a long sigh and wished there was something he could do to take his mind off things for a while.

   “I’ve been thinking,” she piped up suddenly. “Maybe you and I should do something.”

   At once, Clyde’s face burned red and his heart gave a sudden leap of excitement. Was she asking him on a date?

   “I was gonna go myself, but now that you’re here, I guess it’d be better if we both went.” She spotted Clyde’s sly smile and she immediately pointed a finger at him. “NO! Not like that! Don’t even think about it!”

   Her hand curled into a fist and Clyde waved his hands as if to say, “I don’t know what you’re talking about!”

   She’s pretty and terrifying at the same time, he thought as he wore an innocent smile.

   Anya undid her fist and suddenly looked thoughtful. “There’s so many questions I have, but there’s one thing I really want to know more about.”

   Clyde lifted his eyebrows.

   “It’s about the history of this place,” she continued. “And that stone building.”

   “The Vault?”

   She nodded and looked out her window. From it, Clyde could see the southern part of the island all the way up to the shore. Now that she mentioned it, he was also somewhat curious to learn more about the Vault; the soul of the Gold Kin was in there.