《5》The Talk《5》

After making the second pot of the day he sat down at the old wooden table with Soos, handing the, now adult looking, man a cup.

   Soos talked first. "So Dipper, it's been awhile... I'm sorry about your grunkles, Stan was like a father to me."

   Dipper shook his head lightly. "It's fine, already over it."

   "But are you?"

   Dipper's eyes widened a bit. Usually that wasn't people's response to him saying their death supposedly didn't effect him much. In fact, Mabel had screamed in his ear.

   "I know you must've been busy to miss the funeral, and I don't hold that against you-"

   Dipper hardly noticed the glass sticking in his hand from the shattered glass of the mug he had been holding. Just like his grunkle Stan to have cheap mugs. He got up, cleaning it as Soos looked at him silently with wordless worry.

   After Dipper finished cleaning he sat back down. "Enough about me, how have you been? I see you're kids are getting quite big. How old are you now?" The last question was directed towards his daughter rather then Soos himself.

   "I'm ten and three quarters!" He ignored the fact her voice was a little shakey. It made sense. The strange man she'd never met before just shattered a mug with his bare hand.

   Dipper feigned a gasp as if that was the most surprising thing in the world. "Did you know last time I saw you-you were three and this big-" he held his hand about two feet off the floor, laughing as she rolled her eyes- "Yep, me and your dad even worked together, back when I was only about a year or two older than you."

   She rolled her eyes, "Dad does say you two used to be close."

   Dipper felt a pang in his chest. "Yeah... used to."

   "Pheobe why don't you play outside for a bit, grown up talk."

   She pouted but said okay anyway and ran outside to play in the snow.

   "She's getting bigger every day... it's hard to keep up... just like you and your sister."

   Dipper raised an eyebrow as a response, which Soos took as keep talking. "You and her went through so many changes, you were so interested in everything and saw everything as a mystery to be solved and she was so bright and colorful, always happy and bouncy and obsessed with all things cute and happy while also being boy crazy," he paused. "And then when you two came back as teens, you just, I'm not sure. You didn't seem interested and I barely even saw you because of Cipher... but Mabel, on the other hand, every second I was with her she was moody, angry, she wasn't HER." He shook his head. "And now.."

   Dipper picked up for him, "Let me guess, now I'm an asshole who can't even be bothered to come to his own family's funeral and my sister is a sweet angel who didn't lose the person she loves twice!" He hadn't meant to raise his voice, but he found his hands and voice shaking. He also barely recognized that he'd included the loss of Bill in people he loved.

    "Dipper no-"

   "Leave... I think you should leave." He got up, walking to the counter and strapping the belt to his waist. "I need to follow up my part on my grunkles last wishes anyways."

   "What?" He looked terrified, "Dipper you can't! If Ford and Stan couldn't do it you can't either."

   "Stan and Ford shouldn't of been hunting seeing as they could misplace a hip is they so happened to fall!" He turned away from Soos, ignoring his blurred eyes. "Just get out."

   "Dip-"

   "Get out!"

   Soos sighed, "Just... if you need anything call me."