Chapter Four - 'Don't say date, Granger.'

Hermione was getting a little agitated now.

‘Listen to me!’ Hermione stated as she tried to get the attention of Draco, walking briskly while Draco tried to get away from her. He sighed impatiently, probably getting annoyed since Hermione had been trying to get his attention all day, ‘why are you in such a hurry?!’

‘I’m busy, Granger. Get lost or I’ll hex you,’ Draco growled, although Hermione was used to his way of speaking, so she didn't take him seriously at all. He dug his hands into his pockets and walked on, slowing down a little when he heard Hermione mutter something under her breath, ‘I never thought you’d be one to swear, Granger.’

‘I didn't swear!’ Hermione said defensively. She boldly grabbed Draco’s arm and turned him around to face her. They stood in the empty corridor, staring at each other, ‘I need to know-’

‘I need to go! We’ll talk later,’ Draco exclaimed, looking around nervously as though someone might just be lurking in the shadowy corners, ‘If someone catches us here-’

Hermione thought it was odd for Draco to be so apprehensive. He was so pale but this was normal since it was Draco’s natural skin colour but now he looked almost pallid. Hermione frowned at him but he took no notice. Draco’s eyes were extremely restless as they looked down the corridor and then down the stairs.

‘What you said yesterday-’ Hermione started. Draco’s eyes flashed to hers and a smirk appeared on his face, the apprehensiveness disappeared to be replaced by a smug look. Hermione crossed her arms over her chest and tried not to fall into those grey pools.

‘I say a lot of things to you. You need to be a lot more specific, Granger,’ Draco said coolly and his eyes didn't leave hers, making Hermione wish she hadn’t caught his attention. It was easier talking to nervous Draco rather than big headed Draco but she continued on. 

‘About... the potion, Amortentia,’ Hermione saw Draco’s smirk widen and she looked at her hands rather than his face. He was just loving this, she knew it. He had planted a seed of doubt in her head, one that screamed her feelings for Draco, ‘I... that didn't mean anything.’

‘The potion doesn’t lie, Granger,’ Draco stated in a quiet voice that was also full of an annoying I-know-what-you’re-thinking arrogance. He smirked at her famously.

Hermione said nothing and the silence between them dragged on. She looked at the floor and noticed it’s cleanliness; had she ever seen Hogwarts look so clean and empty? She guessed not. It was always full of bustling bodies in the day and rested peacefully at night. Hermione lifted her gaze from the floor to see Draco who was glancing over the railings and down the stairs. He looked back at her when he realised she was staring at him. A smug grin filled up his face.

‘It’s quite alright, Granger. Lots of girls are attracted to me, you’re not the first,’ Draco winked at her and Hermione was surprised that she was still standing. Draco winked at her; she felt a sudden urge to giggle like a twelve year old. Draco carried on, oblivious to Hermione’s blush, ‘go on then. Say it. Say what you really think of me and maybe I can-’

‘Mr Malfoy, I was hoping to find you here.’

Draco’s face grew paler, if that was even possible. He looked almost dead as though no colour would ever dawn on his cheeks. Hermione knew who the voice was; how could she not? Anyone could recognise that voice at any time. Severus Snape was coming up the stairs, his cloak billowing behind him like a dark fog following him about.

Hermione watched Draco, who had his back turned to Snape, as his eyes closed for  fraction of a second as though in defeat but then he opened them. Hermione saw the difference in his eyes almost immediately. He looked a lot more confident, arrogant and... evil. Perhaps a little scary too as he sneered at Snape who came to a halt beside them both.