Chapter Six - 'Bite me, Granger.'

Hermione ran her hand lightly along the bookshelf, gathering some dust which she got rid of with a lazy flick of her wand. She dusted her hands of and opted to just walk by the books. She would normally love having the large library all to herself since even Madame Pince wasn’t in here. She would, on any other day, choose a book and a desk in a corner to sit and read until she was stiff from sitting so long. Flipping the pages, building anticipation, and the quietness of the library always appealed to her.

But it was Christmas... and she was alone. She didn't want to read. She wanted her family to give her presents and force her into a woolly jumper and eat dinner with them and get comfy on the sofa so that they could watch television together even though Christmas television wasn’t the best.

‘Great,’ Hermione muttered to herself as she walked past the books, not even glancing at them, ‘alone on Christmas day, what could be better?’

Hermione wondered where Draco was and she blushed slightly when she thought of last night. He had almost kissed her... almost. He always disappeared during the day without telling her where he was going and now it was nine o’clock at night and he still hadn’t shown his face. Hermione sighed; she stayed at Hogwarts for him and he hardly showed his face. Hermione was sure he knew where to find her since she hardly ever left the library so that wasn’t an excuse. He didn't even show up for the Christmas feast and that was probably the best thing about Christmas at Hogwarts.

Hermione grabbed a random book from the shelf and opened it to the first page. She carried it to a nearby desk and sat down, putting the book on the table. One way to kill boredom was to read, of course. Hermione opened the book, crossed her legs, and began to read in her head. The book started off with intricate details of a witch who had transformed her couch into a pig and seemed to unknowingly transform other objects in her house. Intrigued, Hermione read on until it was nearing, she noticed with a shock, eleven o’clock. Hermione jumped up and out of her seat; it was past curfew!

The door of the library creaked open just as Hermione put her book back. She paused, her eyes glanced towards the front of the library but it was way too dark to see anything. Taking the lamp with her, Hermione went back to the desk where her wand lay and grabbed it.

‘Malfoy?’ Hermione asked warily, hoping it was him and not a teacher since they wouldn’t appreciate her being up past curfew.

‘Expecting someone else?’ Draco’s voice said as he neared the table.

Hermione rolled her eyes at him and stowed her wand away. She was glad that it wasn’t a teacher who could potentially give her detention but seeing Draco at eleven o’clock, nearing midnight, made her a little angry. She had just spent Christmas alone and in a library with no idea where he was! He raised his eyebrows, looking immensely tired as though he had just ran a race, as Hermione glared at him with her arms crossed over her chest.

‘What, Granger? Don’t look at me like that,’ Draco sighed and walked over. He sat on the desk, stretching his legs out and Hermione stood in front of him. They stared at each other in silence and Draco gave a weak laugh, ‘Merry Christmas, I guess.’

‘There’s only an hour left of Christmas, Malfoy,’ Hermione said in a quiet voice and then she shrugged, sighing slightly, ‘I’m just going to go to bed.’

Hermione started to walk away, feeling quite disappointed. Was it really worth staying at Hogwarts, during Christmas, for Draco? He didn't seem to care about her at all and Hermione realised that she was the one that wanted to spend time with him. Draco probably had lots of girls he could spend time with, why would he even care about Hermione? Draco heaved himself up after a second of watching Hermione walk away as though he was wondering whether he should stop her or not. He walked behind her, grabbed her arm, and turned her around.