Chapter 6 Innocents Abroad

We finally left the reception after midnight and made our way along the ten city blocks back to the hotel where Ginny and my twin sister shared a joining room with Brian and meself.

Ginny walked calmly with us, unaware of the picaresque devils that were us, keeping pace beside her. As were making our way through a short cut in a wooded Provincial park, we stopped in a small isolated glen and circled around Ginny. Sis was grinning as she asked poor unawares Ginny; So luv, whatever did happen to your necklace? Gin's reaction was absolutely, rewardingly priceless.

Ginny, a relatively innocent soul, who is prone to believing most anything told to her, started, and her hand went to her throat, feeling about fruitlessly, as her rustling glossy gown and remaining jewels glistened darkly sparkling in the full moons' light.

"M' necklace, why it's gone? , where did it go! she pleaded helplessly, her thought patterns and speech a little slurred by her rather intoxicated condition. We then got into it, playing dumb along with her, and tried to figure out the "mystery" I said the last time I saw it was when that seedy bloke cut in, and I ran my hand up her back, feeling the shivers going down her spine, did the blighter touch you like that, then luv. No she said, then thought hard, no she repeated, he couldn't have, he was a proper gentleman, and it was only rhinestone like your sister said.

I don't know said Brian, never trust any gent who doesn't wear a tie to fancy dress! He had to 'ave been up to no good, that one!

My sister then commented that the bloke may " have not noticed no difference", and she held out her own necklace, I'm glad he didn't ask me to dance.

No, Ginny shook her head, her long earrings flickering a frenzied fire out from her let down ginger hair, no one could have lifted them like that, I'd have felt it....I'm sure of that...!

She looked desperately around at us, then seeing the look on upon our faces, Ginny froze with the realization that we had all been up to something, and, then a smile of relief showed up on her pretty face, as I held up her necklace, sparkling in front of her eyes. A sly look of understanding that we had been up to something crept into those dazzling green eyes, as she told us now to spill it out.

We explained the whole tale as Sis helped Ginny place her necklace back on. Ginny, with her usual good humor, said she had never noticed a thing, and it probably was a good thing we weren't real thieves because if her necklace had been diamonds, it would have been worth a small fortune. And shame on us for having her believe it was that poor blighter in the red shirt.

We wouldn't' make very good thieves I agreed we drink too much. She just smiled, a curious-looking gleam creeping up into those witchy green eyes of hers. Let's get going before we meet a real thief then, urged my sister, all this talk about someone thinking our jewels are real is giving me the right chills.

Our drunken little group then merrily, if not a little more guardedly, made our way home...

Next Up

Chapter 7

Farewell My Lovely