"When We First Met"

ERIC'S POV:

I was just there, leaning with my left shoulder against the wall and my hands in my jean pockets, talking with Mark about the alleged miracle freshman who managed to land a spot on the varsity football team, when someone rushed past me, knocking me back to the wall. "Whoa, someone's certainly in a hurry."

"Probably a freshman," I shrugged, "Anyway, what does this miracle freshman look like? I want to take a selfie with him."

"You'll never get a chance. He's the only albino student in this school. There are virtually miles of girls trailing behind him anytime he's out and about. Actually, girls and dudes."

"Oh, so he's bi?"

Mark shook his head and squinted his eyes for a second like he was thinking. "I don't know. He doesn't talk about his dating life. Why do you care?"

"Just curious." I glanced at my wristwatch and frowned, "You need to get going, man. You have a minute to get to class."

"Fine, okay. See you at my house, yeah?" I waved my hand at him, shooing him away. Just as the bell rang, I stepped backwards into my first period class and spun on my heel.

"I'm so not late, Mr. Fitzhugh." I exclaimed, grinning at my Drama teacher.

Fortunately, he was a forgiving person and laughed, letting me off the hook. It was the third day of the first semester of the year but I was so ready to take it easy. I settled at a desk in the back and immediately, my eyes landed on this guy who was leaning back in his seat with the carelessness of a junior, but he wasn't there the other two days. He had on a black beanie, a black hoodie, black skinny jeans, and, you guessed it, black Converse. I was studying him from where I was, trying to figure him out from behind. At that time, he shifted in his seat, his hand moving from his pocket and into the air. "Yes?" Mr. Fitzhugh asked, looking up from his lesson plan from the day. The guy's voice was soft in the air and I could barely hear, so, without even realizing it, I leaned in but to no avail.

"Oh? My bad, I didn't get an email about that. I thought you were transferred to a different class, Devin." Devin. That's his name, I thought to myself, it's really cool. Like a mafia leader's son. Or a teen model. He's probably an actor, I nodded to myself, considering what he's wearing and how he skipped two days of school. I bet myself he was at a photo shoot for some magazine but I wasn't jealous, I was just intrigued. Note to self: Ask Devin why I haven't seen him around before.

"Alright, class. Everyone stand up. We're continuing our ice-breakers as it's your first week back," Fitzhugh announced, gesturing for everyone to go to the front of the classroom, a cleared space I assumed we were going to use as a stage. The guy got up slowly from his desk and unzipped his hoodie, taking it off to reveal a loose white button-up shirt with the collar popped. Yup, definitely some sort of teen actor. I left my leather jacket on, too lazy to take it off. Standing up, I walked up to the "stage" and stood in the forming circle.

Devin came over and stood next to me, as I had chosen to stand opposite the other six other people in the class, being not too fond of squeezing next to people. Lucky for me, he gave me space and it was enough space for me to realize just how short he was compared to me. I know it's a stereotype, but shouldn't he be a little taller? I thought, noticing his milk chocolate complexion. Oh shit, am I racist? I need to filter my thoughts better. Imagine how many people in this world can read minds. I need to take a break from those Wattpad novels...

"Alright, everyone, introduce yourself to the person next to you," the teacher instructed from a random desk he was sitting on. I heard a faint snicker leave Devin as he watched the people across from us turn back and forth trying to sort out who should being speaking to whom. Tapping his shoulder, I rotated my body to face his and stuck out my left hand. He whirled around, startled, only to calm down right after on recalling the small task at hand. Taking my hand in his ridiculously small one, he shook it and looked up at me.