One: Jake

A/N: Hello! In case you didn't see my announcement about this book please read this. Two books come before Heart Eyes, but you don't need to read Cat Eyes (first one) to understand it. You NEED to read Green Eyes to understand this. This takes place BEFORE the epilogue of Green Eyes. Enjoy! :)

My breath came heavily out through my mouth as I continued to sprint around the field with my other teammates. Quinn and Pika were in front of me, laughing with each other as we all started to slow down. I could vaguely hear our Coach's voice drift over the team but my mind just couldn't focus. Baseball had always been my passion but today I wanted nothing to do with it, or with anything really.

Getting dumped a week before high school graduation was one of the worst pains I've gone through. However, having my Grandfather pass away a day after gradation made for a few weeks of pure hell. Losing two people in such a short amount of time made me stay locked in my room for most of the summer.

Elise Peters had been my crush since I was in eighth grade when she moved to North Carolina from Florida. I'll never be able to forget when I first saw her walk into my home room. She had black hair with bright green eyes, her skin so smooth it was crazy. She had taken a seat next to me and my palms had instantly gotten sweaty. I had never really looked at girls before she walked in. I made it my mission to make her my girlfriend by the time we went to high school.

When she accepted my nervous first date request, I had felt on top of the moon. There were only a few times I had felt that happy in my life. Being around my Grandfather always made me happy, mainly because he was so different than anyone else I knew. My family was and still is homophobic, and basically every other kind of phobic. Grandpa Joe was so open minded about things like that, he was so easy to talk to. Now that he was gone I couldn't really talk that openly with anyone else.

The other time I had felt true happiness was whenever I got to hang out with my best friend Brandon. We had grown up together in tee ball and played on our high school baseball team together too. He used to be my best friend before I found out him and Elise got together immediately after she dumped me. They were hanging off of each other in the hallway, one week before graduation. The two people I ever loved had betrayed me. The only girl I had ever loved, and slept with, betrayed me.

Besides Brandon I didn't have a lot of friends growing up mainly because I used to be extremely shy. Baseball helped because all of the guys were so nice and being on a team was something I've always loved. Luckily I was still able to play now in college, which helped with my anxiety about being alone.

My eyes looked up at the sky as I heavily sighed. Usually once my feet hit the field I was zoned in but I couldn't get the Instagram picture out of my mind. Since I wasn't on social media too often, it didn't dawn on me that I never unfollowed Brandon on anything. Elise had unfriended me the day she broke up with me but my former best friend did not. It was right before practice that I happened to see a picture on Brandon's Instagram that made me want to die. Apparently Elise was pregnant, by Brandon. I still want to burn my eyes from ever seeing that.

"Dude, you okay?"

I shielded my eyes to look up at the worried face of Owen staring down at me. Since we first met Owen had become a true friend but my body always felt weird around him. My palms would sweat and when those brown eyes looked down at me I had problems breathing. I really had never thought about a guy in any other way than friendship before. It could be that Owen was such a good friend that I liked being around him so much. But his dimples always made my heart beat a little faster. There's no way my family could ever find out about the conflicted thoughts I was having.