Twenty three

Chanyeol was beyond nervous. He shifted from one foot to the other as he waited outside for Baekhyun to come down. He'd showered and dressed neatly in fresh clothes and felt much better than he had a few hours ago. His eyes were still rimmed with dark circles but he couldn't contain his excitement. He was about to meet his baby! He waited in the same spot he'd seen Baekhyun and Sehun hugging and he cursed himself for being so immature. He should have interrupted them that night but he coulnd't turn back time. All he could do was move forward

The glass doors to the building opened and Chanyeol smiled as he saw Baekhyun walk towards him. "Hi!" he said brightly as he held out the white box. "have you eaten yet?" Baekhyun shook his head and took the box. "I'll put this upstairs. Do you want to come up?"

Chanyeol followed Baekyun into the elevator and they rode it in silence for a little while. "Remember last time we were in here?" Chanyeol whispered with a mischevious glimmer in his eye and Baekhyun blushed. "Yes I remember." The doors opened and Chanyeol followed Baekhyun into his apartment.

It was even nicer than he remembered. He watched Baekhyun put the pastries down in the kitchen and he wandered over to the big windows that looked down onto the park below. He could see a brightly coloured playground and a covered play area and he turned to Baekhyun with a smile. "This is a great place to raise a child Baekhyun." Baekhyun smiled back as he tried to gulp down the rest of his water. "Yeah. The spare room is over there if you want to have a look. That will be the baby's room."

Chanyeol opened the door and found a pretty standard dusty spare room. It had a build in closet and a nice big window, a single bed, and a pile of boxes. Chanyeol, for the first time, felt like this was something he could be useful at. "Can I help with this? I can paint and stuff..." he turned to Baekhyun with a hopeful expression and the other man immediately acquiesced. "Of course."

Baekhyun groaned as he swallowed the last of the water. He noticed Chanyeol's curious expression. "I have to drink a whole litre before the ultrasound or it doesn't work, apparently a full bladder pushes everything into the right spots, its really annoying and kind of puts a dampener on my excitement." His face drained of colour a little and his mouth filled with saliva and he was just about to retch but he kept it in. The look of panic on Chanyeol's face was almost comical. "I'm fine..." Baekhyun brushed it off and grabbed his keys, "lets just go."

When they walked into the ultrasound room and Baekyun saw the look on the technician's face he had to laugh to himself. This was the third time he'd been here and this was the third man he'd brought with him. He hopped up onto the bench and laid back, pulling his shirt up to his ribs, exposing the thin white skin of his stomach. Chanyeol frowned when he saw the soft skin sink beneath the bones of Baekhyun's ribs. He looked even thinner than Chanyeol remembered. Baekhyun hissed a little at the cold gel and the technician moved the wand over his stomach.

"Oh my God!" Chanyeol exclaimed loudly as he saw the fuzzy image flash up on the screen. "Baek it's moving!" he almost fell off the chair as he leaned closer to see better and the technician smiled at his enthusiasm. She moved the wand around and suddenly stopped and checked the monitor. "Is everything okay?" Tears instantly filled Baekhyun's eyes when he saw the look on her face. The swoosh of the heartbeat filled the room but it sounded different, irregular and strange, and Baekhyun instantly went into panic. Chanyeol noticed his mood drop and grabbed his hand, squeezing it tight, having no idea what was happening.

"Mr Byun... I'm picking up two heartbeats," she said gently as she moved the wand around again. "You're fucking kidding?" Baekhyun went cold. "But this is the third time I've been in here." "I'm sorry Mr Byun. This isn't an exact science. I can only tell you what I see. It happens quite a lot actually, one twin might be slightly smaller and laying right behind the other, but I'm definitely picking up two heartbeats this time...." She moved the want again. "See, here is twin one..." she clicked on the monitor to save the image, "and over here is twin two..." she smiled gently at the two shocked men staring at her with open mouths.

"I'll do the health checks again and send another report through to your doctor Mr Byun but everything looks fine. Both heartbeats are strong and steady and there's plenty of fluid surrounding them. Everything looks normal and they look fine and healthy." Baekhyun stared at the screen and watched them moving around a little. One seemed lively and was waving its arms and legs. The other was less so, and Chanyeol leaned closer to the screen, before gasping loudly. "Is that one sucking its thumb?" he asked and the technician smiled. "Looks like it. They do that in the womb you know.." "I used to suck my thumb! Until I was nine! I mean four!"

Chanyeol blushed, quickly realised he was yelling, then immediately burst into tears. Baekhyun squeezed tighter when he realised Chanyeol was still holding his hand. He squeezed his hand as the tall man sobbed then sniffed then managed to reign his emotions under control again. Baekhyun couldn't blame him for falling apart a little. He felt like he would too but not here. He liked to fall apart in private.

"Sorry..." Chanyeol released Baekhyun's hand and used his shirt to wipe his face. "It's just a lot, you know..." Baekhun nodded. He did know. He sat up and wiped the gel from his stomach and took the pictures handed to him. He handed half over to Chanyeol who was still sniffling as he stood up. "Gotta go, thanks so much..." Baekhun disappeared from the room and straight into the toilet to release his full bladder and Chanyeol went out to the reception area.

Chanyeol gave Baekhyun's name at the desk and the receptionist handed over the bill and when Chanyeol sneaked a peak at it he almost choked. Three hundred dollars for a twenty minute ultrasound? He was definitely paying for this one. He pulled his credit card out and had just handed it over when Baekhyun appeared next to him looking much more relaxed. "No way.." Baekhyun tried to stop him but Chanyeol just paid and they walked out side by side in stunned silence.

"How are we going to have two babies?" Chaneyol asked when they got in the car. He looked down at Baekhun's tiny body. His frame was small and he was looking more frail than ever and he was filled with worry for the next six months. "I don't know Chanyeol but I don't think we have a choice."

Baekhyun's smile was weak but genuine as he drove back to his apartment.