Forty two

"Hello darling," Mrs Park crooned softly as she slipped into the hospital room. Her arms were full of bags and she began unpacking things into the small cupboard beside the bed. Baekhyun watched her hang a thick fluffy dressing gown, a thin cotton robe, many pairs of black soft looking pyjama bottoms, and some huge looking underpants.

When she saw his quizzical face she laughed. "Trust me. Those babies are going to come out and you are going to want these. They'll hold everything in tight and it will also help with the stretchy skin and the scar from the surgery." She began to lay tiny little onesies out on the end of his bed. "I hope you don't mind, I went to a specialty store for these." They were so small and Baekhyun picked one up and saw the tag. 000000 was the size and he shook a little as he realised he'd planned to bring them home in sizes 0000 which was, as far as he'd known at the time, the smallest size. "I've washed them so they should be okay to use straight away." She leaned over conspiratorily in his ear and her eyes lit up as she whispered to him. "No little grandbaby of mine is going to wear the hospital clothes. Even if this is a nice hospital."

She began to unpack tiny socks and muslin wraps and a few tiny knitted hats that looked homemade. "Thank you," Baekhyun began to say and she immediately stopped him. "Don't," she said, "I should be thanking you. Those babies are a blessing and you make Chaneyol so happy." She sat down on the end of the bed and absentmindedly played with one of the tiny baby hats. "Chanyeol's had others before." Her fingers ran along the finely crafted edges of the tiny white hat while she thought carefully about what she wanted to say. "I always felt like they were taking advantage of him. They all wanted something from him. His looks, his money, he's just so kind hearted....." Baekhyun nodded. He knew.

"Anyway he was hurt a few times, he got sick of being used, but he never closed his heart. He just guarded it a little more carefully. But the first time he met you he was giddy, like a boy again, he was just so bubbly with the excitement of meeting you. He worried that you were so together with your business and your life, and he was just a baker who lived at home with his parents, he really felt like you had it all and he had nothing to offer you. Then he found out you were already engaged. And then he heard about what happened to you and he was so mad. Not just that it was you but that anyone would do that to somebody."

She looked over and Baekhyun was listening intently. One hand rested on his stomach as a pain shot up the side and he didn't wince. He didn't want to interrupt her story.

"So when he decided he wanted to pursue you, understandably, we were wary. He's just so sweet natured and didn't want you to use him as some sort of rebound but now here we are. Nine months later and you've given him everything he's ever wanted and made him happier than I've ever seen." She leaned over and kissed the surprised man on the cheek making him blush. "Thank you," she said and he shook his head. "No, thank you, I wouldn't be able to do this without him. Or you."

He smiled back as they shared a silent moment of bonding over their shared love for the gentle giant of a man who meant the world to both of them.

Baekhyun stretched his legs out flat on the bed and she went to get up out of his way but he grabbed her arm. "Don't," he said. "In the beginning I didn't know how Chaneyol was going to feel. I didn't know him that well but I fought with myself. I tried to convince myself that I could do this on my own, that I didn't need him, that he wouldn't want this. I was so stupid. In the end I coulnd't fight it. I do need him and I'm happy he's in my life."

He tried to reach for the bottle of orange juice on the table and she leaned over to pass it to him and he tossed her a grateful smile in response.

"Before I had Chanyeol no one ever really told me I was worth something. I suffered for years from a lack of self confidence. My parents aren't very nice people and I had a hard time growing up." He sipped his orange juice and she waited patiently for him to continue. She wasn't going to ask about his parents. She knew he would tell them in his own time on his own terms.

"I suffered as a teenager from anxiety, an eating disorder, and when I lost so much weight peple took notice of me. They seemed to value me for the first time and it felt good even though it came from a really bad place. If ended up becoming a way of being able to control my life, my world, I was sick and struggling but all I heard were positive comments."

Tears filled his eyes and he blinked them away. "My former fiancé treated me horribly but I didn't even realise. Or I didn't at the time. I thought it was what I deserved. I tried so hard to have the perfect life and it was all so fake, so empty and so lonely, and it all came crashing down around me spectacularly."

He felt another pain and winced and she rushed closer but he waved her away. "It's fine, I'm getting used to it," he said as he sat up a little straighter. "Anyway, I always imagined having this perfect life, and now I'm getting it. But a little out of order, a little bit backwards, but I couldn't be happier. And Chanyeol has seen me at my absolute worst. There was no way I could fake any of this, no way I could keep up a perfect front after all the things we've been through, and he still loves me. I really can't belive it."

Baekhyun smiled at the thought of Chanyeol, so big and ungainly, but so soft hearted and loving. "I really do love him. And I promise you I'll always be gentle with his heart. I'm not perfect and I can't be perfect. It's taken a rough pregnancy to learn that."

He winced again and was just about to say more but the door flew open and Chanyeol burst in. "Am I late?" He asked looking from Baekhyun to his mother with panic written all over his face. "No," Mrs Park said as she stood up so Chanyeol could take her place on the bed. "They haven't come to get him yet."

Baekhyun looked up at the relief on Chanyeol's face. He reached out and grabbed his hand, impulsively bringing the knuckles to his lips, pressing a soft kiss on them. Chanyeol's widened eyes at the sudden affection made him both warm and sad as he realised he needed to be more affectionate with the gentle man.

"Baekhyun?" Byul's freshly dyed red hair poked around the door and they waved her in. Baekhyun cringed when he saw the wheelchair but he was still in pain and also felt like he'd doubled in size over the week. Chanyeol carefully helped him into the wheelchair and they headed down the corridor, Chanyeol pushing the wheelchair, his mother and the midwife keeping pace. It was time for another scan and hopefully it would be good news.