Chapter 7: Phone call

Ryujin sighed in relief as the bell signaling the end of the day alarmed. She couldn't wait to get out of there, Hyunjin was the reason. First she had danced with him and then the next thing she knew she shared a civil conversation with him and that argument - 'By the way, opposites do attract', what had he meant by that? Was he referring to them? If he was, why was referring to them? There was nothing between them. She had been so sure that there was nothing between them, she had been absolutely positive that she hated him with a passion, she had been sure that nothing could change her mind. Until...he had said that. Now she was shaken, because maybe, just maybe, he was right, maybe opposites do attract. Maybe she didn't hate him quite as much as she thought she did, maybe there was something between them, and maybe he was going to change her mind even if she didn't want to admit it.

"Hey," Chaeryeong walked up to Ryujin and grinned at the look on her face.

"What?" she snapped at her friend whose grin grew even wider.

"You know, I think that Hyunjin's having the strangest effect on you. You can't seem to stop thinking about him," Chaeryeong teased her.

Ryujin spun to face her, an annoyed look on her face. "Hwang Hyunjin? Hyunjin has no effect on me or whatsoever, I don't know what you're talking about." Her face paling slightly at her best friends' words.

"Of course he does! You're now thinking that you don't hate him as much as you thought you did, you now think that there might be something between you and you know that he's going to change your mind," Chaeryeong said reading her mind and laughing at her.

"No I'm not!" Ryujin replied stubbornly shaking her head, her lies flying everywhere.

"Yes you are and you know that the word 'might' in your thoughts shouldn't be there. Because trust me Ryujinie, when it comes to you and Hyunjin there is something there." Chaeryeong told her still smiling.

"What do you mean by that?" Ryujin asked as they walked out the door.

"I have never seen you so unhinged by a guy and I've seen you with guys before."

Ryujin stared at Chaeryeong in horror. "Whoa, I am never unhinged around Hyunjin. Wait, what do you mean unhinged?" She stopped walking and looked at Chaeryeong, the horror in her chest mounting rapidly as she recognized the look on her friends face.

"Please, Ryujinie, you get so riled up by that guy its funny to watch. That's what I mean by unhinged, all he has to do is say something and you're instantly at his throat. You don't even bother to hear him out and then he reacts and you're at each others throats."

"Oh right, you just avoided the answer to my other question," she pointed out.

Chaeryeong shrugged. "Hmmm, I did, didn't I? You haven't noticed? Jeez Shin Ryujin, are you blind or deaf or seriously out of tune with your feelings?" she asked waving her arms around as Ryujin stared at her.

"No," she replied confused.

"Ryujin, you and Hyunjin have chemistry, big time chemistry. Watching you and Hyujin is like watching how chemicals react. There's no other way to put it. You should seriously see the physical attraction when you two are together. It starts as soon as you guys sit down together, to when you leave each other and let's not forget the arguments that always seem to progress from you two sitting as far away from each other as possible to Hyunjin holding your hand and you two coming so close to kissing its beginning to get annoying," Chaeryeong cried out.

Ryujin raised her eyebrows. "We do not end up almost kissing!"

Chaeryeong snorted. "Ryujinie, your faces have come so close like a thousands times and if you'd turned your head slightly at some of the times you would have ended up kissing him!"

Ryujin continued to stare at her, her mind running over everything that Chaeryeong had told her. Chemistry, unhinged, chemical reaction. What could that mean?

"Chemical reaction? " she asked in a daze.

"Yeah, not my words, Felix's, he was watching you guys yesterday and he said that watching you guys was like watching how chemicals react," Chaeryeong nodded her head at her words as they continued walking.

"Chemicals react," Ryujin repeated and Chaeryeong nodded, obviously enjoying remembering what Felix had said and other things by the look on her face.

"Yes, throw two chemicals together and watch them react. That's what's happening with you and Hyunjin, your chemicals are reacting and there reacting in a big way," Chaeryeong said as Ryujin's phone went on ringing.

She pulled it out and looked at the number, not recognizing it. She looked at Chaeryeong who mouthed 'Who is it?' at her and shrugged. Chaeryeong motioned for her to answer it, knowing who it was and wanting to see her reaction when she answered it.

Ryujin hit answer and raised it to her ear. "Hello?" she said curiously.

"Hey, Shin Ryujin?" Hyunjin's voice floated through the phone and Ryujin's eyes widened, her mouth formed a perfect 'O' and she nearly dropped the phone.

"Uh, um, uh, I mean, yes Hwang Hyunjin?" she replied as Chaeryeong collapsed in hysterics.

"Look, I know this is weird and all," 'Tell me about it' Ryujin thought and than tried to find the hate that she'd felt a week before "But, we're going to have to meet after school or on the weekend or something because our Music literature project that we've been given to work on, well today was our last one and we've got to get it done," Hyunjin said.

Ryujin turned away from Chaeryeong who wouldn't stop laughing. "Right, um..." she trailed off and they were both silent. "Okay, look, do you want to meet me at my house on Saturday morning?" she asked, furious at herself for not being able to find the hate that had been there a week ago.

"Sure, uh, just the morning though. I've got dance practice in the afternoon," he replied.

Ryujin swallowed hard. "Yes, that's alright," she agreed nodding her head.

"Cool, okay, I'll see you," he said and hung up.

She hung up slowly, wondering where the hate had gone. She turned back to her best friend who was watching her with a mischievous grin on her face.

"What?" she asked and Chaeryeong just shook her head.

"That's the second civil conversation you two have had today and you were blushing the entire time," she said giggling.

Ryujin rolled her eyes. "So?"

Chaeryeong just shrugged. "You don't hate him, you like him!" She walked off leaving Ryujin gaping after her.

Ryujin tried to shake it off, but it didn't work. Now that she thought about it, maybe Chaeryeong was right, maybe she didn't hate him. 'Chemicals react' she thought and shrugged, maybe it made sense, maybe they were chemicals reacting. Right, it's just chemistry and nothing else.