The Assistant

My alarm rings. I sit up in my bed as I shut off my alarm. My parents rush in, excited that I'm starting a new school year at Chesapeake School for Performing Arts.
"My goodness, Mija!" my mom exclaims. "You're going to be a star!"
"Not yet, Mama," I counter as I get up from the bed.
"But, soon, of course," my dad counters. "Gomez's are always successful."
"Whatever you say, Papa. Pero, can you both leave so I can get ready?"

They shuffle out of my room and I lock the door behind them. After a good shower, I decide on wearing a blush pink skirt and a white long sleeve crop top accompanied by white Vans. I brush my dark brown hair. I apply mascara to my eyelashes and blush to my cheeks, trying to give myself some life. I wear my eyeglasses instead of the contacts I have.

My mom has already made me breakfast. She's more excited than I am. I'm happy, but I'll miss my old friends. I drive my grey sedan. The school may be far, but my parents want the best for me. I pull up to the side and park in the lot of the school. I grab my stuff and get out the car, I'm ready to start a new year.

I'm 16 years old as a junior in high school attending a new school for performing arts. I've been to dancing competitions since I was 6. Before that, every time music came on, I would leap across the living room. My parents saw potential in me. I had a regular elementary, middle school and 2 years of high school. Until my dance teacher, introduced my parents to the school he works at Chesapeake High. My parents talked and they agreed to enroll me here. I liked how I would get to embrace my gift.

As I walk up the stairs, I see students who are singing and dancing. As I walk through the doors, I see students getting their schedules. There's one particular girl whose face is beaming. She has thick box braids in a half ponytail. Her skin looks like a soft warm brown. Her eyes are black with her long eyelashes. Her lips are ombre of brown to a center of light pink, I can tell she's wearing lip gloss.
"Hi! Are you Sarah Gomez?"
"Yeah. And you are..."
"Chelsea. I was assigned to give you a tour around the school, I also have your schedule."

Chelsea takes me to my first 2 classes, English and AP Spanish, they were easy. I'm fluent in Spanish. It's snack time, in the cafeteria. I grab an apple from my backpack and just sit by myself at the table. While I'm using my phone, a group of kids comes to sit down next to me. Chelsea says they're her friends. They all introduce themselves: Jake, Aneessa, Jordan, and Liam. I'm super quiet because Chelsea never gave me a heads up.

As everyone's laughing and talking, there's this group of four guys and 3 girls who come down the aisle of the cafeteria. The one that catches my eye has a dark honey- brown hair parted to the left on his head not gelled but a little messy. His dark hazel eyes pop from his dimmed pale skin. His khakis aren't sagging but his pants are loose touching the ground, straightly ironed with visible creases and cuffed at the bottom. His grey circle necked shirt is a little too tight showing his muscles. He's wearing white long socks under his pants with brand new white Vans to match his outfit. I don't know but the way he drags his feet is annoying. He walks like there's something up his...
Chelsea catches me staring, "You'll have no chance, he may be single but he doesn't date a lot of girls."
"What's his name?"
"Benjamin Miles," They say together.
"What's with the whole group?"
"That's his acting group. He's always chosen for the leading role. He can dance and sing," Jake sourly says.
"A whole performing package in 1," Aneessa jokingly states.

The bell rings, I walk with Jordan and Chelsea to dance. I walk through the door and there's an area of light brown wood with mirrors. In the back, there's a short case of bleachers. I sit 3 steps from the ground next to Chelsea, Jordan went to sit with his other friends. The passing period bell rings and the teacher walks in. He introduces himself, his name is Mr. Miles. Then it came to mind that Ben's last name is Miles. My Mind explodes, that's his son. He gives us a background story of his life, he also explains how he became a teacher. I kind of drift off while he is talking. I come back to focus when he said he has a teacher assistant, his son. And as soon as he says that Ben walks in the class. Chelsea nudges me in the arm and when I look, she grinning and winking at me, I roll my eyes at her. Some of the girls around me are squealing and others are whispering about how cute he is. For my preference he's okay. But when he starts to talk, I find myself paying close attention. I don't daydream like how I was with Mr. Miles. His voice is deep and soothing, I think it can get soft if he's not talking to an audience. When he's done talking, Mr. Miles says the class rules. The bell rings.