10. Heartbeat

Iftia: Lyx Palace, Rowan's Bedchamber

Elianna

The first light of morning shone through the crystal glass windows and its warm radiance seeped into the thin gaps between her half-opened eyes. Scrunching her eyes and wrinkling her nose, she turned away from the light and peeled her eyes open. Feeling a weight settled on her waist and she propped herself up on one elbow to see Rowan's hand placed on the curve of her side. Her head turned to look at him, carefully noticing each deep inhale he took in his sleep and how his chest would rise and fall in a rhythmic manner. Her fingers traced along his slightly arched brows before drawing lines on his defined jawline.

"Good morning, love," Rowan breathed, voice still husky with sleep. His eyes remained closed, allowing her playful fingers to continue their path through his striking features. Her fingers danced on the tip of his nose as he chuckled at the ticklish feeling of her touch and asked, "What are you doing?"

"Memorising every lines and curves of you," she murmured. "Can I try something?"

His eyes opened slightly, revealing the blue brilliance underneath and his lips curved up into a faint smile. He held onto her hand, resting it on one side of his face and tilting his head slightly to kiss her palm, "What should I do?"

She took his hand and rested it on his chest. He simply followed her instructions and she saw those blue eyes glimmered with curiosity.

"Say my name," she mentioned.

"Eli," he said, but nothing happened. She became amused at his reaction and she laughed when his brows knitted together to express his confusion. Shaking her head, she corrected, "My birth name."

"Elianna Evarix."

A sudden glow appeared in the thin space between his chest and his palm. She observed as his head shot up in an instant and looked at her with wide eyes.

Rowan

"What is this feeling?" he asked. There was an unusual beat pulsing in his chest. It followed right after his, thumping metrically between each rest taken by his heart. He focused on the steady sound with an overwhelming emotion inspiriting within him.

"You're feeling my hearbeat," she giggled softly, and he felt her laugh through the small spike in her heart rate before it fall back to normal.

"How did you know about this?" he asked again.

"Jason mentioned it to me before, but I didn't know it is true."

She did the same and whispered his name softly under her breath. Dark brume flowed through the spaces and the expression on her face reflected her satisfaction when she felt him right in her chest. A jolt of excitement pushed him towards her, his hand curled at the back of her neck, pulling her in for a kiss.