Chapter 19

Colby came in about an hour later. He woke me up when he closed the door behind him, but I could tell he had tried to close it softly so I pretended to still be asleep. 

"Nessa? Are you awake?" he whispered. I didn't answer. I heard him walk to his closet and slowly, quietly open the door. I heard him open and softly close a drawer, then close his closet again. It was quiet for a few seconds until I heard him unzip his jeans.

I rolled over to face him—because who wouldn't—but then I remembered that I was pretending to be asleep. I kept my eyes shut as I rolled over, pretending to still be asleep.

I heard him pull on some other pants, then come over and get into the bed next to me. I rolled back onto my other side to face him, my eyes still shut. I could feel him looking at me. Not in a weird way. I knew he wasn't just laying there, staring at me like a creep. He was probably just studying my face, which I'd had to relax in order to convince him I was really asleep. I shifted my legs closer to his side of the bed.

I didn't want him to feel bad about waking me up, but God did I want to touch him. I bent my knees to stick my legs out as far as I could without being suspicious, and I felt the area just above my knees brush against him, so I stopped moving. I heard a soft chuckle come from him, like he thought it was cute that I had done that in my sleep. Honestly, I probably would have, except with my luck, I'd accidentally knee him in the balls or something.

I moved my hand out from under my face and moved it forward a little bit. I knew I couldn't reach out and touch him with my hand, too, because that would be too obvious. But maybe he would touch me back.

I felt him lean forward a second later and softly kiss my forehead. My heart melted when he did that. He wasn't doing it to make me happy, he wasn't doing it to get me to like him. He was doing it because he wanted to. Because he saw me laying there and couldn't help but softly kiss me while he thought I was asleep, thinking that I would never know he did that. I let myself smile ever so slightly, like I was having a good dream about something.

He rolled over onto his side, too, to face me. He extended his legs out and I felt his pants moving against my knees. I could sense him laying right next to me, close enough for us to touch if I shifted. It wasn't completely dark outside yet, the sun had only set about halfway. He could definitely see my face, because I was facing the window and his blinds didn't block out all of the light.

We laid there for another ten minutes or so, and I heard his breathing switch to deep, even breaths and he didn't move for a while. I rolled over onto my other side, not wanting to keep my eyes shut anymore while I was still awake. I was pretty sure he'd fallen asleep, but I could have been wrong. I took a big deep breath and let out a sigh. I felt him move his arm out some, definitely enough for him to have touched me if I hadn't moved. He reached out further and his fingers brushed the bare skin of my back in between the top of my spandex and the bottom of my cropped hoodie.

"C'mere," he mumbled quietly. He knew I was awake, and apparently he was too. I scooted back into him and he put one arm under my neck and wrapped the other around my side, underneath my arm, so mine was resting on top of his. I moved my elbow back and placed my hand on top of his, pressing my fingers in between the back of his. He moved his head a little bit and rested his chin on top of my head, since I was so much shorter than him. He squeezed me for a second, like a little hug, and I fell asleep in his arms.