Chapter 4

I came home that day smiling. Was that so bad?

"What's wrong with you?" My father asked angrily.

I looked down and instantly wiped the smile from my face.

"Don't talk to her like that. She deserves to be happy." My mom said trying to calm dad down.

I ran to my room and locked the door.

I really didn't want to think about what was wrong. I was happy. This is good. No this is bad. How is being happy bad? My father's voice echoed into my head.

Being happy is foolish...

It'll make you weak...

It'll break you...

It'll hurt you.

But I wasn't hurt. I was right where I needed to be.

9:00 pm

"Rrrrrriinnnnnggg...rriiiinnggg!!!" My phone made a loud noise that broke my train of thought.

Charlie was calling me.

"Hello"

"Hey"

"Soooooo tell me all about it..Im soo proud of you!"

"......."

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing..."

I questioned myself. Was nothing
wrong? I guess it shouldn't be right?

"LIES!"

"It's okay Charlie, I'm just happy."

"That's good!"

Was it?

We continued to talk over the phone. Laughing at each other's jokes. Charlie was all I could ever ask for as a friend. She was less of a friend and more like a sister. She completed me. And like the friendship necklace she gave me weeks before...

"Partners in crime"

We met in the beginning of the school year. I was shy and timid. Her goal at the time was to break my shell. She took me in and showed me her family of friends.

Riene was the group leader. She was like the mother. She took care of them all as if they were her own daughters. Riene guided them, loved them and well was one with them. She was loving when she needed to be but she was also defensive if you hurt the people close to her. I remember seeing her as a beautiful figure with her long hair and perfect shape.

Riene's best friend Jordin was warm and kind hearted. She made us laugh most of the time. Jordin carried her own beauty her smile. She loved to act crazy...well they all did.

Felicity was Charlie's close friend too. She was strong willed and driven. She protected the people close to her. I never really understood her much.

Kim was a close friend to me and she still is today. Kim was the tallest girl in our class. She too, like the others, had beautiful long hair that framed her face. She was very kind and generous. Kim was a neutral person. I wanted to be like her. She never chose a side and she never hated another. Kim didn't really have a defensive side against people because she was that type of person.

Charlie was different from them. Yeah she carried humor and fierceness, but there was something about Charlie that separated her. Charlie was loving yes, but when I look her...she carried something in her eyes. I saw her pain.Her sadness.Her secrets.

It was Charlie who walked into my life and changed it. And I thank her for that.

Charlie