ACT I - Scene 3

Accent Academy — Professor Lee's Classroom

    It was the end of the third week in the semester, which meant that, today, the College of Theatre would announce its selection for the fall semester performance. The announcement was going to be at 2:00pm today in the auditorium.

    I was really excited: this semester, I was aiming for more than just a supporting role or a back-up role. I wanted a leading role, and I had been spending all summer preparing for it. I had convinced my parents to let me take summer courses in vocal training, convincing them that any leading role I landed would look impressive on a résumé. I had passed with high marks, and I felt extremely confident in my singing abilities now. I had also taken a course about how to enhance one's performance when assuming a role, which I had also passed with high marks. Between those classes and all of my experience with dance, I felt well-rounded enough to audition and be a contender for any role in any kind of production: whether it be one with just acting, acting and singing, acting and dancing, or a combination of all three.

    Now, all I had to do was find out what kind of piece the university had chosen, pick out my role, and then begin living in a studio memorizing lines.

    Professor Lee was dismissing us from class fifteen minutes early so that those of us interested in the performance could make our way to the auditorium for the announcement and subsequent information session. This made me both happy and sad: happy, because I was eager to get to the information session and pick out the role I wanted to audition for; sad, because it meant fifteen minutes less spent in his class.

    My heart had finally reached a point where it wasn't jumping up into the back of my throat or threatening to beat its way out of my chest when he looked at me or spoke to me. I could maintain a steady voice whenever I was asked to read from the textbook, PowerPoint, or answer a question. I could fully focus on my reading and homework assignments—though imaginings of him still occasionally popped into my mind while I would lay on my bed working on them. I had not made anything less than an A on any of the quizzes or homework, and I wasn't planning on making anything less than that on the first exam on Monday. I put almost as much effort into this class and I did dancing; all because I wanted him to be impressed with me.

    It was so silly, but I couldn't help it.

    Class was dismissed at 1:45pm, and I gathered up my things faster than I normally did: it had become habit for me to try and be the last to leave the classroom so that I could hopefully have a few seconds alone with Professor Lee. He was always polite enough to tell me good-bye and that he would see me next class day. While it was really barely anything, it was still worth it just to hear him say my name.

    You're so stupid, Gloria...

    Girls not interested in attending the performance announcement had clustered around Professor Lee, monopolizing him. I cast a parting glance in his direction, watching as he smiled politely and answered all the trivial questions I was sure they had. He didn't notice me, and I felt disappointed as I turned around to leave.

    So stupid...

    Professor Lee was a teacher. Not some classmate that I could openly crush on and date. What was wrong with me?! Why did I feel this stupid desire to have him always notice me?! God, I needed to get over this insane infatuation (or whatever this was) fast. Hopefully, landing a role in this semester's performance would provide me with a distraction adequate enough to push him out of my mind.

    I picked up my pace the closer I came to the building's exit: I had been dawdling, and if I continued, I'd be late for the meeting. As I reached out to push open the glass door, another hand appeared and pushed it open for me.