Chapter 3

"Will the world end in darkness because it is foretold? Or because there will be those who believe it so strongly they will make it so?"― Patrick Ness

Xxxxxx

They arrived at Wendy's the next morning before everyone had to go to work. She knew they were coming and had gathered all the literature she could on The Demons of Fire. 'They could have picked a more imaginative name.' Lisa said.

'The name is the least of our problems.' Wendy said. 'If they're back then something big has happened to call them here.'

'What do you mean call them here?' Amy asked.

'They hunt prophecies.' Wendy said. 'To claim any power produced when a prophecy is completed. That's why most of them are unable to blend in with the human world. Too much power.'

'No kidding.' Lisa said.

'What kind of prophecies do they hunt?' Katherine asked.

'Any and all.' Wendy said. 'As long as it involves power they aren't fussy.'

'How do we figure out which one of these it is?' Dani asked, looking through hand written scrolls of ancient prophecies. 'There's literally thousands.'

'You should see my book of prophecies that have already come true, hundreds more.' Wendy said. 'Has anything big happened recently?'

'Nothing that out of the ordinary.' Amy said.

'Lauren got a new power.' Dani said. 'Could that be it?'

'What power is it?' Wendy asked, suddenly worried.

'An energy power, like Christina's but......'

'But it's yellow.' Wendy finished for her.

'Wendy?' Christina looked up at her and watched the colour drain from her face. 'What's wrong?' Wendy didn't say anything. She began to root through the scrolls. She finally found the one she was looking for and scanned it with her eyes. She looked from Lauren to Christina.

'Oh dear.' She whispered.

'Wendy?' Katherine stood and took the scroll from her.

'What does it say Kath?' Christina asked. Katherine started to read out loud.

'When the moon covers the sun. And the darkness lingers. Creatures escape their cells. The sky burns.' She swallowed and her gaze flickered up to Christina before she continued. 'Six will stand. Two will fight. One will fall. The witches of yellow and blue.'

'That's us right?' Lauren said nervously. 'The witches of yellow and blue.'

'Yeah, it's us.' Christina said. 'Wendy, you knew about this prophecy. You knew exactly which one to pick.'

'I thought it might be a possibility when I first met you and I saw your blue beam.' Wendy admitted.

'Why didn't you tell us?' Dani asked.

'None of you possessed the yellow beam, it didn't seem pertinent to worry you for no good reason.'

'Well, there's definitely reason to worry now.' Amy said.

'Kath, when is the next eclipse?' Christina wondered.

'Next week maybe, I'll have to check.' Katherine said.

'Okay. I guess this fire demon was a scout of some sort. To find the powers to complete the prophecy.' Christina thought. 

'So we have some time.' Lisa said. 'We can find the demons and destroy them before the eclipse.'