Chapter 1: My Childhood

Five Years Old

I got a whistle! It's so cool and it makes different sounds when you blow into it! I got it as a prize at school from getting the best test score! I rush home to go show my parents what I got. When I get home my mother is making dinner. But where is my father? I start looking around our small house and my mom says "He's not home. You just missed him."
I ask her "Why didn't he say goodbye to me?"
"Because he's busy. You know that."
"But he always says goodbye."
"He couldn't this time. It was a very important message. The guard said to leave immediately. You know he can't say goodbye to you every time he leaves. That's not possible."
"But..."
"No buts. Why did you want to see him?"
"Nothing..."
"Rosa Flower I know you have something you wanted to tell us. What is it?"
"Oh...well..."
"What? I don't have all day."
"I won a whistle in class today."
"For what?"
"Getting the best test score."
"You know what we told you about that."
"I don't have to worry about doing my best. My job is to be a messenger."
"Why did you try really hard?"
"I didn't! I didn't try very hard! I promise!"
"Rosa."
"I..."
She looks at me with that look. I'm going to get in trouble if I don't tell her the truth. I sigh and say "I really wanted the whistle."
"It's just a child's toy. You will outgrow it very quickly. It's meaningless."
"But..."
"Go outside and play with the other children. You need your strength for when you do become a messenger."
"Ok..."
I put the whistle on my chain necklace then walk outside. Everything I do never impresses my parents. I always dissapoint them. I thought they would be happy for me. Why can't I do something I like to do? Why is it always what they want? I head over to the small clearing and see other kids chasing each other. I cheer up and quickly start chasing after them. We play tag until we eventually get called back home to eat.

I rush home and sit down in silence to eat dinner with my mother. After I finish eating I clean my dishes. I'm about to go to my room when my mother asks "Where do you think you're going?"
I tell her "To my room."
"No you aren't. We have training and then your bath."
"But I-"
"Rosa Flower how many times do I have to tell you not to talk back to me. What do you say."
I look at the ground and quietly say "sorry..."

*Picture above is Rosa's Mother*