Chapter 5: My Mother's Leaving

After school one day I get home and my mother is getting ready to leave. She sees me then gives me a hug. She says "I have to go. I'll see you soon."
I watch as she puts the message into her bag and then leaves. My father walks into the house from our yard. He sighs and says "That was fast."
I just look at him. He doesn't seem to care she just left. He asks me "Do you want to go play catch?"
I sarcastically say "You won't win. I always win."
He asks "Is that a challenge? Well challenge excepted."
We go outside and start playing catch. You want to try to mess up your throw so it's harder for your opponent to catch it. It's so much fun ecspecially when I can act like a kid and play it with my father. He taught me how to play it. And I rarely get to play it with him. When I do it's every once in a while. Usually when my mother is gone.

We play catch and talk until dinner time. The weeks to months when my mother is gone I have the most fun. My father makes me train but he makes it more fun. My mother wants me to train and do it seriously because my life is on the line when I do go out into the woods. I know it's serious but it's nothing I want.

It's not the job I want. But it's the only job I can easily get. As lower and middle class Elves we usually take over our parents jobs because they can train us to take over. Upper class Elves can do any job they want. They can pay other Elves to teach them. But the Upper class Elves usually take over there parents jobs. Ecspecially the Speakers eldest.

*Picture above is Rosa's father, (pretend he doesn't look so angry)*