Chapter 7 - That Music

As much as they tried, one grace day every year wasn't really sustainable for the two. Zim was beginning to run out of ideas, and Dib just stopped worrying as much about Zim as he would like. He saw that Gaz was kinda right. Zim didn't do much harm and got distracted quite often. Zim got so invested in learning how to blend in on Earth that he would sometimes forget that he's supposed to take it over soon. However, they still had their disputes.

Zim's skills with the Earth had indeed advanced a lot to where he could get social cues better. Dib did notice that whenever they would speak, Zim sounded more like a human. A cynical human, but that was up Dib and Gaz's alley. Zim's hair growth from his experiment also helped with his disguise and he started wearing more "normal" clothing. He just started wearing hats to hide his antennae, but they would still stick out. Ever since successfully replacing his pack, he had gotten taller over time, so strangers thought that he was just a short gothic-looking girl since his hair was on the long side under a hat, and he liked wearing dark colors.

Once February of 2006 rolled around, it became a lot harder for Dib to hate him. They've gotten to a point where they mostly just bickered.

________________________________________________________

- Monday, February 13th, 2006, Light Snow, 3 pm.

Zim was currently heading over to Dib's house with Gir, who had snacks to share in his head. Zim was wearing a black large-brimmed hat to block out the sun. He knocked on the door and in a few moments, Dib answered. He allowed Zim indoors since he was requested to come over.

"Hello Dib," Zim said, "It's nearing our day again." 

Dib nodded and sat on the couch with Zim following, "I'll be honest with you Dib... I don't have any evil plans for the 15th." 

"You have a plan maybe once every 3 weeks now?..."

Zim deadpanned while Dib chuckled,"I blame you...."

"Me? Why?" Dib asked.

"You've made me lazy..."

Dib smiled a little then looked away. Gaz was staring intensely from the stairs.

"Okaaaaay. Head out the door noooow," She thought to herself.

Dib then went over his idea again and looked at Zim.

"Zim... what kind of music do you like? I want to see something..."

"Uh...I don't really have a favorite?..." Zim responded confused.

After a few minutes of rummaging through CDs, Dib finally found a band that Zim could start listening to. He pulled out a Linkin Park CD and placed it in. Gaz decided to stick around for it, since this was one of the only bands she and Dib agreed on. Zim looked around worried and fiddled with his fingers.

"Dib, what's going on?..." Zim asked.

"I just want you to pay attention to how you feel when you hear any of the songs we play."

Zim gave a puzzled look at Dib, "I'm at a loss for why people on this planet get so worked up over music. It's not horrible, but I don't get why people cry over it."

"A variety of reasons honestly," Dib said, " I can't name them all. But for now, until you start choosing your own music, I'll start you off with some that most people know."

He placed on Numb by Linkin Park since it was a song that most people knew. It could give relatability points for Zim. After all, just knowing a song is beneficial. Liking or hating the tune didn't matter right now, so Zim folded his hands and listened to the lyrics.