Chapter 8 - Mission-formed

- 9 pm.

Zim had just got done wrapping up his Valentine's gift for Dib. He held his stomach, feeling the fuzzies, then the dread afterward. He thought about what Dib said about the Tallest and headed down to the lab. He turned on his monitor and called the Tallest. Gir followed him down with a large bag of cheese doodles. He waited for a response. He didn't get an answer, and called again. It took three tries to get the Tallest to appear.

As always, they looked rather annoyed and were currently in bed. Red was glaring at the screen while Purple was eating a bag of chips. A heavy cloud suddenly went over Zim.

"Um... good evening from Earth, my Tallest..."

"Heeeello, Zim..." Purple responded, " What do you neeeed? Or is this another random update..."

"I've come to ask a few questions about my mission actually..."

Purple nearly choked on a chip. Red just gave a single nod.

"Okay?"

"So... Why Earth?"... Zim asked a little sheepish.

"Uhh..." Red went. The Tallest looked at each other then back at Zim,

"........Why...... NOT earth?" Purple said.

"Earth seems fairly far..." Zim said, "A different galaxy far.... Everyone else got planets that were.... at least somewhat nearby...."

"Well Zim, EVERY planet is far when you think about it..." Purple said.

Zim stopped, internally frustrated from that answer. He closed his eyes, ".....I'm here for other reasons... aren't I...." Zim said.

Both of the Tallest's eyes widened. They looked at each other.

"Uhhhh.......yes~" Red said, "You caught us, Zim. You're there for a bigger purpose than what we originally asked!"

"To die?...." Zim asked.

"........I mean if you want to," Purple replied.

Red nudged him. Zim looked up at the screen, "You can tell me if that's the case..." Zim said, "I didn't have a planet assigned to me... did I...."

"Well......No...Zim..." Red admitted, "Look, at the time, you were way too-......... short?....Uh, Zim? Is something wrong with your screen?... You look taller..."

Zim cleared his throat so he could respond, "Oh no n-no... I got a little taller... I've made a few changes diet and tech wise... but um...." Zim gave a small hiccup. The Tallest stared at him absolutely bewildered.

"Well anyway," Red started, "We had to send you away because you were messing up everything. What you did in Operation Impending Doom I was... very... very annoying to deal with..."

Zim remained silent. He was starting to shake a little.

"And you were the reason for the loss of two Irken Tallest!" Purple jumped in, "You were dangerous to your own people. So, we took that opportunity a while ago to just... save ourselves..."

He stopped and looked at the look on Zim's face and just looked at Tallest Purple.

"So I understand that my mission was faked..." Zim said, "In that case, I suppose I'll stay on the Earth....."

"............Okay," Purple said with a shrug.

Zim's heart broke a second time. He gulped and looked at them on the screen. Gir had stopped eating, "...I suppose I may give a final update from Earth sometime soon... Maybe when something eventful happens," Zim said, "It could be helpful to the Irken Empire anyway."

"..........Uh huh?" Red replied.

Zim had to end the call soon before he lost himself. He could barely keep both feet planted on the floor.

"Well, that's all I have for you. So uh... Sorry for interrupting your sleep. Goodbye, my Tallest," He hung up before that could say anything back. He immediately buckled his knees to the floor. His chest was tough from the build up disappointment.

"Why did I say that?..." Zim said to himself, "They just said that my mission was just to get rid of me... There's nothing to update!"

Gir walked over to him and lied against Zim's back. Gir turned his head over.

"Want me to call Dib?" Gir asked.

"No, he doesn't need to know about this right now...."

Gir paused for a moment, ".....I'mma call Dib," Gir said. Gir ran out of the lab and went up to the surface floor. He then headed to a phone and dialed Dib's number. When Dib picked up, video game music was on in the background from Gaz's game.

"Zim?" Dib asked, recognizing the house caller ID on his cellphone.

"Hi Diiiib!" Gir said, "Zim's sad right now."

Zim bolted into the living room, "GIR!"

Gir's eye lights blinked and he ran up the stairs to the bathroom. He locked the door and looked at himself in the mirror. He waved at his reflection.

"GIR NO! QUIT IT! PLEASE!" Zim said through the door.

"Uh, what's going on?" Dib asked.

"Yeaaaah... You were right. That Tallest did wanna get rid of him. Now he's really sad about it," Gir said.

Dib frowned and went to grab his coat. Gaz got a shock of pure dopamine by seeing Dib place on his coat. She assumed he was heading to Zim's house. She could hear Gir's squeaky robotic voice over the phone.

"Alright... I'm on my way over....."

Gir looked at the bathroom door. Zim was yelling through and banging on it.

"He said to bring cheese doodles."

"No he didn't Gir..." Dib said.

________________________________________________________

In a few minutes, Dib knocked on the door. Gir walked out of the bathroom, to which Zim immediately grabbed him.

"WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?" Zim asked. There were tear streams on his face. He heard the knock again and placed Gir down in defeat. He went down to the door and opened it. He looked at Dib and frowned. Dib saw his face and his heart sped up. He was going to speak, but saw that Zim was about to.

"......I know... I told you so...... Say it...." Zim said. Dib looked at Zim's eyes and walked over to him. He saw the tears on his face and felt his chest tense up more. He met his forehead against Zim's before wrapping his arms around him, giving him a firm hug. Zim was now trapped by Dib's arms and didn't make an effort to escape them.

Dib was toasty despite just being outside in the snow. Zim rested his head on Dib's shoulder, giving into it. He had no energy to protest. Dib instinctively kissed the side of Zim's head, understanding the heavy disappointment. Zim's eyes started watering again. He felt duped. His whole heart was into this mission. He gave a small huff shortly after.