chapter 13

'keep your cool. don't freak out. you got this.' mike reassured himself mentally as he stared at the clock in the room. the last period was about to get over after which he and el were going to go back together. he was finally going to spend some proper time with her alone. they would walk to this class together but that would be like five minutes at best. he wanted more. so much more. sighing, he glanced at her. sitting beside him, she was intently listening to their teacher as she wrapped up the class. english was el's favourite class and nothing could distract her during this period. he smiled to himself at how cute she looked, her eyes wide and a pen swaying in her hand. it was in moments like these that he felt that the love was too much to not be expressed.

the bell rang. he noticed the slight disappointment on her face, as if she didn't want the class to end.

"we have english tomorrow as well. don't worry." he chuckled.

she nodded her head, putting her things inside her bag. "i know. it's just.. uh, i could be in this class forever."

"i believe you."

they stood up and began to walk out of the class.

"if college has teachers like ms. lily, then i'll probably want them be to my best friends." el gushed.

"is that what it takes to be your best friend? an intensive knowledge on literature?" he asked, raising his eyebrows.

"yes, mike, that's all it takes. personality and all comes later." she joked.

"interesting."

"i hope you know i'm joking. Christ, mike, of course not. the only thing it takes to be my best friend is acceptance. the person who i'd consider to be my best friend, would be one who'd accept me. all of me. the good days and the bad days. everything. i wouldn't feel conscious around that person. i could be myself and have no fear of being judged."

"see, now that i agree with. i don't think i can really be friends with someone if they judge me or something. which is why i feel like my friend circle is like my family. you know, we do silly things together, laugh it all off. sure, we make fun of each other but we'll always be there for each other. it's one of the party rules."

"party?" el was confused.

"uh.." he shut his eyes tightly. he probably shouldn't have said that. not yet. "can we save this for another time, if you don't mind?"

she nudged him, shaking her head. "of course, mike. relax."

he sighed in relief, so glad that she didn't dwell on it further. she'd probably end up being a member, but he'd wait for a while. let his friends get to know her better. they were gelling well so far, thankfully. but he had been sure of that anyway. he didn't think it was possible to not like el. there was just something about her. she was sweet, for sure, but it was more than that. she had an innocent charm to her that made her so likable. his chest tightened. she was so special and she had no idea how much he wanted to be with her.

they came out of the school building and he walked towards his cycle. he noticed that his friends had already left, as their cycles were missing from the stand. he pulled his out and took a seat.