chapter 19

"and it's done." will dramatically sighed as he gently pushed the paper away from him.

el came over at his house in the morning as both of them wanted the assignment to be done. he felt that if he didn't complete his work, it always lingered on the back of his mind no matter what he did. if he got this out of the way, then he could do whatever he wanted without stressing over his incomplete tasks.

so there they were, working in his room. he was sitting beside his desk and she sat cross legged on his bed.

el giggled. "yes, yes, we're done." she glanced at her wrist watch, raising her eyebrows. "and that didn't even take us that long."

"time flies when you're having fun. now, it could either be the assignment or the company. i think it's the latter." he replied teasingly.

she beamed at him. "you know what, it's true. all the other group projects i have done in the past made me feel like they were going to last forever. i never really had nice partners."

"really? my experience has been mixed, to be honest. though i find it slightly awkward when i get partnered up with someone i don't know at all. i get very shy around new people."

"oh, i feel you on that one."

"yeah, i don't know, i guess i am more comfortable expressing myself when i'm with a friend."

"i think i felt more at ease doing this assignment with you, you know? both of us were able to communicate and i think we carried it out pretty smoothly."

he smiled warmly at her. "i'm glad. anyway, it's one o'clock now, right? let's have lunch."

she bit her lip. "uh, are you sure? i don't mean to impose."

he rolled his eyes playfully. "how many times do we need to have this conversation? come on, el, you're my friend. you're not imposing at all. come on, let's go eat."

smiling shyly, she got up with him and they left the room. entering the kitchen, he started rummaging through the fridge.

"i need to heat up the food first. go on, have a seat. i'll be right there."

" let me help you."

"there's really not much to do. i just need to put these two in the microwave for a few minutes." he said, holding up two containers that he had taken out from the fridge.

she nodded as he placed them inside the microwave and pushed a few buttons.

"is it normally just you then? when you come back from school?" el asked.

he shrugged. "yeah, pretty much. earlier, johnathan and i would have lunch together. he'd have a shift to do at his part time job, but he always made sure that we had lunch together."

she smiled. "you must miss him a lot."

he chuckled. "a hell lot. i mean, the first month after he left for college was awful. i felt so alone at home. mom works a lot and i usually only get to see her when it's dinner time. so it was just usually me alone at home. but it's fine. i am more used to it now."