chapter 5

jim was called in for some work immediately after they finished breakfast. though she wanted him to stay, she knew she couldn't ask that of him. he wouldn't have been called if it wasn't important. she was about to start reading the novel her father had given her as a Christmas gift, when she thought of getting groceries and making something new for dinner. both of them tried to take turns for cooking but she liked doing it more often. she thought it was fun, trying out different recipes and being experimental with food. many a times it would turn out to be a disaster, but her father being the sweetheart he was, never complained and always appreciated her.

and so, that's how she ended up at the departmental store. el was just looking for some spices on one of the shelves when a raspy voice called her out.

"el?"

she looked sideways and found her newfound curly haired friend. her face broke into a smile and she took quick steps towards him.

"mike? hi!"

taken aback by how enthusiastic she sounded, he felt his face get warm with an adrenalin rush. Jesus, she's going to give him a heart attack someday. he honestly doesn't mind though.

"h-hey. what are you doing here?"

"just here for some groceries. what about you?"

"i'm getting eggos for my younger sister. my mom promised her eggos for breakfast this morning but forgot that we're out of them. luckily, my sister is sleeping till late today. so my mom sent me." he explained.

"aw, you're so nice!" she smiled at him.

he blushed. "i-i.. thanks. it's nothing though. i'm just doing what mom asked me to."

"we had eggos for breakfast too, by the way. i completely love them. they're my favourite food."

"favourite food, really? out of all the things in the world? not even like, steak or something?" he asked, amused.

"are you really comparing steaks and eggos?" el scoffed.

"you're the one who said they're your favourite."

"they are. which is why i am saying, why are we comparing? steaks are no match."

mike laughed. "sure, whatever you say."

"what is your favourite food, then?" she enquired curiously.

"see, now i never know how to answer this question. like, am i supposed to talk about an appetiser, a main course or dessert? i mean, i love french fries. but i'm not sure if that can be classified as a proper meal. likewise with ice cream. or cake. so maybe, steak? and also burgers. and pizzas." he rambled.

el giggled.

"okay. i see you love food."

"i do." he turned crimson. he wondered if he sounded weird at all. or stupid. he was praying he hadn't said anything that could've possibly put her off. he was desperate... so desperate to talk to her and be with her. he didn't know how to ask her to hang out with him. this accidental meeting was very important for him. he wanted her to like him enough to want to be around him.

"i do too. and i enjoy experimenting with it too. like, when i'm cooking." she responded.

"you cook?"

"yeah! my dad and i both do, but i guess, i enjoy it more."

"i am not great at it but it's fun, i agree! i like baking more though." mike smiled.

el gasped. "you bake? that's awesome! i don't get to do it as often as i'd like. truthfully, i prefer homemade cookies over packaged cookies that are sold. my mom used to make these great chocolate chip cookies. i haven't ever had any cookie which comes even close to it."

"i don't know about chocolate chip, but i do make nice honey oatmeal cookies."

"oh my God, do you? can you teach me too? i have tried my hand at them, but mine have never turned out great." she pleaded.

"i.." he stuttered. mike was baffled. el hopper? asking him for something? he'd get down on his knees and bow to her if she asked him to. and showing her how to bake cookies? he could not have asked for anything more. he was literally looking for excuses to hang out with her and this was like, the perfect opportunity! it almost felt like the universe itself was giving him a new year's gift. "of course! i'll show you, but i'd really suggest you try them first. what if you don't like them?"

"if you think they turn out good, then i trust you."

he blushed. "i'd really rather you taste them first. so that you know what they're like."

"if you insist." she shrugged.

he gave her a nervous smile. while he and everyone in his family liked his cookies, he didn't know if she would. and God, he was desperate for her to like them. that would ensure a promised meeting. they would hang out. get to know each other. talk. just the thought of that excited him so much, he thought his heart would burst out of his chest. more time with el hopper was all he wanted.

wait a minute. time.

"holy crap, i'm late! i was supposed to get the eggos and head straight home!" he slapped himself mentally.

"oh my God, then please grab the eggos, and go, mike! your mom must be waiting!"

he nodded frantically. "yeah, yeah. i'll.. see you soon?"

she beamed. "you bet. i have to taste your honey oatmeal cookies, don't forget about that!"

he grinned. "i won't. trust me."

with that, he rushed to grab the a packet of eggos and speedily dashed to the counter, where he quickly greeted joyce, paid for the item and ran out. he was in a hurry, but inside, he was happy. after all, he saw el. and that was all that he needed. 

~*~

A/N- oh my God you guys, we hit 100 reads! i'm so, so grateful to all of you, thank you so much for giving my story a shot, it honestly means the world to me!