chapter 21

"okay, so let's get started." el said as she handed mike a white apron.

"you bet. is it a coincidence that we both have aprons of each other's favourite colours at our respective houses?" 

she laughed. "well, i have a few actually. you know, sometimes when i'll be shopping for something completely unrelated and i'll see like a really pretty apron... then i just... have to give in. like, i have this really cute pastel coloured one with small flowers all over it. i rarely use it though. it's so nice that i'm afraid it'll get dirty."

"isn't that the point of wearing aprons? so that our clothes don't get dirty?" mike asked, amused. 

"yes, that's the point of aprons and yes, i still don't want to get stains on them. what's your point, mike?" she planted her hands on her hips with a playful glare. 

he held his hands up in defeat, laughing. "nothing, your honour. let's just start. you'll have to guide me through this because i don't know how to make banana bread."

"this is going to be my first try too. but the recipe looks fairly simple. i have five overripe bananas so we need to cut them first, put them in a bowl and mash them." 

"the mashing part sounds fun."

"yes, unleash all of your senior year stress on the bananas." she smiled, taking out a big bowl from one of the bottom drawers. 

the kitchen was directly attached to the living room. the cabin was small but it felt so warm and cozy. even though it was his first time there, mike felt that the cabin felt more like home than his house ever did. perhaps it was because the girl he was so in love with was there with him. but maybe, it was because the cabin did not seem superficial in any way. there were a couple of photos on the wall of el and her father and they looked so genuinely happy. he could only wish to have that kind of a bond with any member of his family. 

"mike?" 

"yeah?" he snapped his head in her direction. 

"are you alright? what are you looking at?" her brows furrowed in confusion. 

"nothing, i just... that's a really nice photo of you and your dad. the one where he is kneeling next to you? how old were you then?"

"oh, i must have been five. it was taken right outside the cabin, actually. my mom... she'd gotten a new camera and the first photo that she wanted to click was of.. my dad and i." her voice cracked just the slightest bit but mike heard it. 

he took a deep breath, mustering up the courage, as he placed his hand on her shoulder and gave it a gentle squeeze. "are you okay?"

she smiled, ignoring the flutters she felt in her heart and clutched his hand on her shoulder. "yes, mike. it's just... these memories are so... conflicting to me, you know? they make me happy and sad at the same time. i know that probably sounds nonsensical-"

"no, it does not." he cut her off, instantly wanting to reassure her. "emotions are complicated, el. especially when they're about someone who you love so dearly. it's conflicting because it must've been a happy day but you miss your mom. what you feel is understandable. don't invalidate your feelings. it's okay."