Chapter 24 - Nyssa

Nyssa's POV

"We need to talk."

I froze in the doorway as I took in the scene in my apartment. Rhys and Feyre stood by the door while Amren, Mor and Cas stood in the living room. A small fire crackled, the only sound in the tense silenced.

I wasn't breathing. The tone of Rhys' voice... he knew. And if he knew, he must have told Azriel already. The words of the spell fumbled in my mind as I tried to calm my quickening heartbeat.

"About what?" I asked nonchalantly, taking a step forward and closing the bedroom door softly behind me. Create some time.

Rhys' eyes narrowed as he let go of Feyre. His High Lady crossed her arms, coming to stand by his side. Amren scoffed from the living room, and I turned my gaze to her.

"Don't play stupid," she growled, her silver eyes narrowing. "We've been here for an hour. It's time we discuss the mating bond between you and Azriel."

I liked Amren, but I hated her bluntness at times. The words stung at my soul, pulled at my heart. My mate.

A small gasp came from the High Lord. He didn't know. I had time. Should I do it now?

"Mating bond?" Rhys echoed, looking at Feyre. She only blushed, looking away from his gaze. She didn't tell him, evident from her meek, apologetic expression. Rhys' violet eyes snapped back to mine, wide in bewilderment. "You're his mate?"

"Yes," I sighed, playing with my hands that were clasped behind my back. I felt my bracelets on my hand, the one Nyx made for me as a wedding gift. The moon to my stars.

But not my mate.

I bit my tongue as he pressed. "Does Azriel know?"

"I should hope not," I responded, and Rhys rolled his eyes at me as he swore. Feyre placed a calming hand on his arm, but he shook her off.

My plan echoed out in my head. Protect, serve, die. I can ignore it.

I didn't want to be this person. The cold, isolated warrior. I didn't want to be like Aelin's Celaena.

The thought of my fiery friend warmed my heart, if only for a moment before it froze over as I simply said, "I'm sorry."

They all froze, eyes flying to me in fear as I began to chant. The foreign words felt bitter on my tongue, but I savored it instead of recoiling. I found the words in my thoughts, reciting them as I remembered.

"Stop," Rhys commanded me, but his voice was distant compared to the sound of my chants. I closed my eyes, still being able to sense them in the apartment. Cas' caution was palpable before the sound of his sword drawn.

I felt both Feyre and Rhys release their dampers on their power. They wouldn't be able to touch me, unless the blood oath-

As if on cue, my palm throbbed as I felt blood puddle in my upturned hand. I clenched my first, small drops falling onto the marble floor below.

I cursed the universe, trying to reason with it as I continued my chanting. I ignored the Fae in the room, taking my mind to a place I don't visit often.

This binding spell will not harm them, I whispered to the stars that bloomed in the dark sky of my mind above. Projected in my mind, millions of galaxies and stars looming overhead.

It breaks the blood oath, a voice whispered in my ear, omnipresent. It sent a shiver down my spine, but I showed no reaction.

It does not bring harm.